Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2017 1:06:05 PM EDT
I inherited a Win 1890 in 22 WRF. Gun in used up, close to 0% blue, a cracked and repaired stock, and worst of all the bore is very rough.

Function and fire check out 100%.  Accuracy was inconsistent, throwing 2 in groups at 50 yards but with fliers 3 in out from the main group.

So anyway it is a neat old gun, but it's poor accuracy renders it useless.  Anyone ever had something like this bored out and a sleeve fitted

to effectively rebarrel it?  Ideas on cost?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Where I've seen it advertised, $200 and up, so the rifle needs to be pretty historic or pretty special for it to be worthwhile.  You can purchase the piloted bore drill and liner and attempt to do it yourself for under $120.

Not sure on the availability of commercial 22WRF liners, either - most seem to be 22LR or 22 short, so a chambering reamer might be necessary, or you could use the opportunity to rechamber the M1890 to 22LR via a 22LR-chambered liner.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Been a while since I've had to do a WRF liner.  Brownells used to carry them.  Done quite a few 22lr's.  Last one was $120.

ETA:
Rarely will this increase monetary value.  However, in the case on an heirloom, it typically renders them more accurate and thus more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Or do a .17" HMR liner.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#4]
My dad's Win 1906 had a nasty put in the chamber that prevented extraction. Sleeved for $135.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My dad's Win 1906 had a nasty put in the chamber that prevented extraction. Sleeved for $135.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hmm.  Not too bad.  If it could get it sleeved for around $150 I might do it.

I looked at trying to do it myself, but the tools alone would cost almost that much, maybe more, and Brownells doesn't list a 22WRF sleeve so add a chamber reamer to the cost to.

Quoted:
ETA:
Rarely will this increase monetary value.  However, in the case on an heirloom, it typically renders them more accurate and thus more enjoyable.

Yeah, I just think it is a neat gun and may actually use it once in a while if it would shoot worth a darn.  The takedown aspect of the Win1890 is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I looked at trying to do it myself, but the tools alone would cost almost that much, maybe more, and Brownells doesn't list a 22WRF sleeve so add a chamber reamer to the cost to.

Yeah, I just think it is a neat gun and may actually use it once in a while if it would shoot worth a darn.  The takedown aspect of the Win1890 is pretty cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
ETA:

They may think the pressure has gotten a little high for sleeving.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

*snip *

Brownells doesn't list a 22WRF sleeve so add a chamber reamer to the cost to.

*snip*

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*snip *

Brownells doesn't list a 22WRF sleeve so add a chamber reamer to the cost to.

*snip*

FWIW. The sleeves do not come chambered.  The bore and twist are what changes with the caliber.

ETA:

Not cheap.22WRF .226 1-14 twist
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Hmm.  Not too bad.  If it could get it sleeved for around $150 I might do it.

View Quote

Dude, if you sleeve it to .22" WRF, where are you gonna find the ammo?  Or are you just gonna shoot .22" WMR out of it?
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#9]
22WRF ammo can be found, but most just chamber them to WMR.

ETA:  if I remember correctly, the 1890 carrier is too small to handle wmr.  And to go to LR, might require a different carrier.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#10]
22 WRF ammo is in stock every time I go to my LGS (very large store).  At $13/50 it isn't exactly cheap, but for occasionally plinking it works.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#12]
From the sounds of it, you have next to no collectors value left in the gun, so its only worth is as a shooting iron. Reline the barrel and be done with it, so you can enjoy your then shooting like new rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top