Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2017 8:10:43 PM EDT
Looking at getting a smoker to use as a oven for coating gun parts.  I want to get one I found for it but it is lp gas smoker.  Maybe a stupid question but does it hurt to heat my oven for coating cerakote and gunkote with gas.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You could try asking in the refinishing forum as well.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/19_Refinishing.html
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:27:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going the smoker route as well but I'm gonna give the Masterbilt 40" a shot. Should get to 300 degrees and stay there. Remove all the "smoker" stuff from the inside and should be good to go. 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd use an electric smoker with a reliable thermostat or PID to do it right.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Do not use your home oven......if you're married.

Your wife will be pissed.

Seriously, I have a separate oven outside because coating inside stinks up the whole house....and pisses of the spousal unit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the house oven when the wife is not home
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Roger that.  Wait til HH6 is out, bake, then light up the scented candles!

We made this johnny home-maker oven out of sheet metal and a couple of hot plates from Wally World at gunsmithing school.  It worked-kinda, but the heating was very uneven.  The KG Gunkote took on several shades of green!  After that debacle, the school actually bought us a nice baking oven.  Love ya Jeffery!

We also made another oven at work out of a wall locker and the same heat plates.  That worked better as we drilled holes for threaded rod and could hang shit up in there.  And used a turkey thermometer to monitor temp.  Luckily the regular baking oven showed up shortly thereafter.

My advice, use a gas or electric oven, unless you can really dial in the temp.   And be careful of the distance from the heat source.  Don't get too close, and keep it uniform.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looking at getting a smoker to use as a oven for coating gun parts.  I want to get one I found for it but it is lp gas smoker.  Maybe a stupid question but does it hurt to heat my oven for coating cerakote and gunkote with gas.
View Quote

I use a regular oven from a remodel. I wouldn't want smoke near any of my gun parts. You need to be able to regulate temperature.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Craigslist freebie house oven for me. I put casters on it, wheel it out of the shed when I am doing any refinish work, plug it in where the welder is, do the baking thing, wheel it back into the shed when done.
Frees up shop space and keeps Mama happy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I started out using a propane smoker with a steel plate to even out the heat. I use an electric oven with a PID controller now, but the old smoker did good work as long as it was watched.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used an electric 5th burner under insulated wrapped air duct pipe for cerakote.

I've even used H series on a leupold scope. Only set to 150 degrees. Takes longer but it will cure.

Then we Elite series will not cure that low but my 5th burner I've been able to get it up to 250 degrees and cured H series no problem. I use a calibrated toaster oven for small parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top