Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2017 9:25:02 PM EDT
As part of my part-time endeavor as a dealer/gunsmith lite, I'm getting into doing some parkerizing. Technical issues aside, tell me what you know about pricing. Either how you approach it if you do this work, or what you're familiar with otherwise. I assume I'll be doing some disassembly/assembly with this process. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, way more informative response than I anticipated. My take apart/put it back together skills are pretty good, I guess it will just take experience to figure out how to charge. I'm starting with manganese first, and I'm not going to do anybody's prized WWII firearms to start off with.

I've never heard of anyone doing both an oxide and peen blast before finishing. Is the difference that dramatic? Any problems, other than cosmetic, with not doing the bead blast? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#4]
For grit blasting, you'll want to use 120 grit alum ox, not glass bead. Glass beads will peen the surface of the metal, and the parkerization will not adhere to the metal well, if at all. Be sure to degrease the shit out of everything before hand too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:11:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For grit blasting, you'll want to use 120 grit alum ox, not glass bead. Glass beads will peen the surface of the metal, and the parkerization will not adhere to the metal well, if at all. Be sure to degrease the shit out of everything before hand too.
View Quote
From what I have read here, you folks must be using a different "phosphating solution" than I do.  I use 80-100 grit glass beads and have never had a problem with the solution bonding with the metal.  I use both Zinc and Manganese solutions.

I have also used "pre-black" to ensure a uniform black for the entire firearm (not having a phosphate/paint finish).  Again, I have never had a problem using glass beads.
Course aluminum oxide can change dimensional features in metal as in holes/screws/pins.

Here are a few pictures of my work.

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From what I have read here, you folks must be using a different "phosphating solution" than I do.  I use 80-100 grit glass beads and have never had a problem with the solution bonding with the metal.  I use both Zinc and Manganese solutions.

I have also used "pre-black" to ensure a uniform black for the entire firearm (not having a phosphate/paint finish).  Again, I have never had a problem using glass beads.
Course aluminum oxide can change dimensional features in metal as in holes/screws/pins.

Here are a few pictures of my work.

http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/EnfieldNo4Mk1View1.jpg

http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/MVC-822F.JPG

http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/medium/stevens772.jpg
View Quote
Brownells manganese is what I use, and Brownells specifically says 120 AlumOx for their stuff, as glass bead doesn't give a good finish. But if it works, it works. Nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#8]
This is from the Brownells instruction sheet for phosphating...

b. Blast the parts, using clean media, to the surface finish desired. A coarser,
rougher surface results in thicker, denser Parkerized finish.
Brownells recommends using either #60-100 Glass Beads, silica sand, 120 grit silicon carbide abrasive compound, or fine, aluminum oxide, blasting grit. Another means to the rough finish is to use a Scott Murray Wheel with a 60 grit belt. Closely fitted areas like bolt locking lugs can be masked off using black plastic electrician’s tape. As was mentioned before, non-blasted areas will Parkerize, but the coating will be thinner, and less coarse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top