Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2017 5:32:30 PM EDT
I have a nice Charles Daily Import Drilling - made somewhere around the turn of the century - 12g over 38-55 Win. - external hammers - horn butt plate - etc.

I need two hammer screws made - I have some "replacement" screws that are good enough to hold the hammers on - but the firearm is otherwise complete and I would like to finish it correctly.

I'm looking for something like this -

Anyone have an idea who I could send my action to and have some of these made?
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for all the replies guys..  

Just for information sake - if anyone else is having the same issue - Turnbull Mfg. Emailed me back and said they are very capable of the task.  They will be sending me a quote on Monday.

Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
While I've not made anything that involved I've altered screws by chucking them in a drill press and using either a file or a stone to change the shape/size of the head.

Looks like, for those, you'd also have to use a file to make the little cuts/grooves around the outside edge of those screws.  If I had something like that it would be a neat project.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies guys..  

Just for information sake - if anyone else is having the same issue - Turnbull Mfg. Emailed me back and said they are very capable of the task.  They will be sending me a quote on Monday.

View Quote

Turnbull is a good choice for what you need. Lots of folks could make screws that would work, only a few can make the screws that are right.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Turnbull is a good choice for what you need. Lots of folks could make screws that would work, only a few can make the screws that are right.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking.  The 38-55 is a rare caliber for these, so it's not something I want poorly done - I want it to be right.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Ouch...  

Rough quote came in at $350...

But it will be right.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Turnbull is one of a few place (maybe the only place?) where a restoration actually adds value to some vintage firearm in the eye of most collectors.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
While I've not made anything that involved I've altered screws by chucking them in a drill press and using either a file or a stone to change the shape/size of the head.

Looks like, for those, you'd also have to use a file to make the little cuts/grooves around the outside edge of those screws.  If I had something like that it would be a neat project.
View Quote

A graver is the tool used to make those marks.

It is a very hard steel tool used to engrave details into metal.

You can make one or buy one.
They often are so hard that chipping of the edge can occur in use so be prepared to soften the graver, touch it up with files, then harden it again.

Even a smaller propane torch should be adequate.
Motor oil is fine for quenching.

Very little tempering is used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top