Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 10:09:46 PM EDT
Was shooting my CZ Scorpion Evo SBR with a Dead Air Ghost can earlier. Noticed one shot sounded different and stopped shooting. Cleared the gun and pushed a wood dowel down and it was obstructed. It was about 1-2" from the end of the muzzle but with it being a scorpion, it's fairly difficult to get a dowel in from the chamber end. So I put the wood dowel in the muzzle and started tapping it with a hammer. The bullet moved a couple inches and has come to a complete stop. No amount of tapping or hitting the dowel harder will even budge it.  

I thought about trying to find a brass rod that fit well and using it with a heavier hammer or maybe a hardwood dowel. 

Any suggestions? 
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Not familiar with the scorpion, but how hard would it be to pull the barrel and vise mount it to be able to work from the chamber side?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Spray some lube in there and give it a few more tries with the hammer?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Was shooting my CZ Scorpion Evo SBR with a Dead Air Ghost can earlier. Noticed one shot sounded different and stopped shooting. Cleared the gun and pushed a wood dowel down and it was obstructed. It was about 1-2" from the end of the muzzle but with it being a scorpion, it's fairly difficult to get a dowel in from the chamber end. So I put the wood dowel in the muzzle and started tapping it with a hammer. The bullet moved a couple inches and has come to a complete stop. No amount of tapping or hitting the dowel harder will even budge it.  

I thought about trying to find a brass rod that fit well and using it with a heavier hammer or maybe a hardwood dowel. 

Any suggestions? 
View Quote

I'd say soak it in kroil overnight and get a brass rod just under the diameter of the bore.  Tap it lightly w/ a 3 lb sledge or start w/ a deadblow.   Although a steel rod of the right diameter wouldn't deform like brass and wouldn't damage the bore.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Squibed plenty of times, but not that tight.
Definitely try and pull bbl and soak. Id use acetone & atf.
Would try pressing out before hammering.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:18:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used a bolt wrapped in electrical tape to remove bullets before. Obviously electrical tape is not the end all for protection, but done properly, the tape will do a good job keeping the bolt centered and thus keep the tape intact.

One could probably do similar with a 1/4 drive socket that is undersized for the bore and again wrapped in electrical tape, as it would be more likely to remain square on the bullet nose.

Apparently it is somewhat common to use a primed case (not a blank, and not a loaded round!) with 1/3-1/2 of the normal powder charge to expel a stuck bullet. You can find it in Hatcher's Notebook, and you'll find others online who have done it. I've never tried it, and I'd certainly be leery of doing so, but it would be a lot quicker than other methods.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd also consider heating up the barrel... the hole will get larger that way
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The coefficient of thermal expansions for copper and lead,are higher than that of steel.
The bullet will expand greater than the bbl and tighten-up.
You'd do more good cooling the bbl.

Quoted:
Apparently it is somewhat common to use a primed case (not a blank, and not a loaded round!) with 1/3-1/2 of the normal powder charge to expel a stuck bullet. You can find it in Hatcher's Notebook, and you'll find others online who have done it. I've never tried it, and I'd certainly be leery of doing so, but it would be a lot quicker than other methods.
View Quote

I too would be cautious of using pressure to dislodge an obstruction. The bbl's thickness would hold much weight in my final decision.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#8]
After soaking gun oil all weekend it only took a few light taps with an aluminum rod and hammer to get it to come out. 
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After soaking gun oil all weekend it only took a few light taps with an aluminum rod and hammer to get it to come out. 
View Quote

Awesome.

I've done the primed 1/2 powder trick once, but on an 8mm Kaiser.  I don't think I'd be too comfortable doing it on a semi auto.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm curious as to what ammunition caused this issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top