Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2016 4:12:12 PM EDT
I am looking to possibly add on to my father's tackle shop and start doing some gunsmithing, and probably sell some guns and.  I am pretty proficient at doing my own stuff here at home.  I learned all I know on my own.  But, I would like to learn more, and become certified.  What are some courses, or schools I need too look into?  Would this be all online, or would it be classroom?  Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking to possibly add on to my father's tackle shop and start doing some gunsmithing, and probably sell some guns and.  I am pretty proficient at doing my own stuff here at home.  I learned all I know on my own.  But, I would like to learn more, and become certified.  What are some courses, or schools I need too look into?  Would this be all online, or would it be classroom?  Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
View Quote

There are no online courses worth the time or money you spend on them - at least not from a "recognition" standpoint. Any courses may be able to impart valuable skills, regardless of the quality of the curriculum or teachers.

If not able to do an apprenticeship, oft-mentioned programs are Colorado School of Trades, Trinidad State College, Lassen Community College, Yavapi College or Pine Technical College. There are no nationally-recognized certifications in gunsmithing, just manufacturer certifications on their particular platforms, and somewhat-regarded accredited degrees like those from the institutions above.

A gunsmith is a combination of an artist and a master machinist, with a bit of shade-tree mechanic or artificer thrown in. The best are known by their reputations, and their high-profile customers.

The only "certification" needed to work as a gunsmith is an FFL. Usually a Type 07 FFL (manufacturer), these days, with the wacky interpretations Obama's administration has been throwing down as to what constitutes "manufacturing activities" these days.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
SDI is another online school.  Supposedly they work with some of the major manufacturers.  About all you can do is check some of them out and decide how you want to go.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't recommend it. At all.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Recommend what?  Becoming a gunsmith?
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's taking about Zucchini
I agree totally, that shit's nasty.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd recommend taking some machine classes and learn to use a lathe and mill. Maybe take some welding classes and learn to TIG weld. All very useful stuff for being a gunsmith. There is no degree needed or required to be a gunsmith. Kind of like a firearms instructor anyone can call themselves a gunsmith. However there are some gunsmith schools you can go to and will give you a certificate and that does make you look more legitimate. Also getting certifications are very good to show people you're more creditable. For instance I took the S&W M&P Armorers course and now I have a certificate saying I can work on S&W M&P pistols. So yeah take as many armorer classes as you can to get lots of certs you can show off. I already knew how to work on the guns, but having certificates makes me look way more professional. Also you can take jobs at a gun club or gun shop or something to prove that you're a professional as you have gotten paid to be a gunsmith. I'll tell ya though most gunsmiths don't make much money at all. You have to do something really well that nobody else does and then everyone will come to you. Also making a backlog of 6 month wait, so you are always working. If you are sitting around everyday waiting for business to come in, you'll fail. Also getting a FFL so you can take in guns overnight is a good idea. Maybe learn how to engraving like scroll work on fancy guns. So you can build a sweet looking gun and sell it for a lot more than you paid for it is the general idea. I mean take a look at Wilson Combat or Salient Arms and places like that where they make custom pistols. Learn how to do custom finishes, like bluing or Cerakote and stuff like that. Most gunsmiths can't do everything, so finding a specialty is really the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:07:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are no online courses worth the time or money you spend on them - at least not from a "recognition" standpoint. Any courses may be able to impart valuable skills, regardless of the quality of the curriculum or teachers.

If not able to do an apprenticeship, oft-mentioned programs are Colorado School of Trades, Trinidad State College, Lassen Community College, Yavapi College or Pine Technical College. There are no nationally-recognized certifications in gunsmithing, just manufacturer certifications on their particular platforms, and somewhat-regarded accredited degrees like those from the institutions above.

A gunsmith is a combination of an artist and a master machinist, with a bit of shade-tree mechanic or artificer thrown in. The best are known by their reputations, and their high-profile customers.

The only "certification" needed to work as a gunsmith is an FFL. Usually a Type 07 FFL (manufacturer), these days, with the wacky interpretations Obama's administration has been throwing down as to what constitutes "manufacturing activities" these days.
View Quote

This ^^^^ best answer to the question I have seen in awhile. i went to Colorado School of Trades. CST was hands on 7-8 hours a day 5 days/week until you passed each section. For some people a year. Others longer.  
I got through it a bit faster than most because I Already had some experience working with an old gunsmith in a large shop. So I got to see every kind of problem and had some practical experience long before I went to school. Not in industry at this time.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:19:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd recommend taking some machine classes and learn to use a lathe and mill. Maybe take some welding classes and learn to TIG weld. All very useful stuff for being a gunsmith. There is no degree needed or required to be a gunsmith. Kind of like a firearms instructor anyone can call themselves a gunsmith. However there are some gunsmith schools you can go to and will give you a certificate and that does make you look more legitimate. Also getting certifications are very good to show people you're more creditable. For instance I took the S&W M&P Armorers course and now I have a certificate saying I can work on S&W M&P pistols. So yeah take as many armorer classes as you can to get lots of certs you can show off. I already knew how to work on the guns, but having certificates makes me look way more professional. Also you can take jobs at a gun club or gun shop or something to prove that you're a professional as you have gotten paid to be a gunsmith. I'll tell ya though most gunsmiths don't make much money at all. You have to do something really well that nobody else does and then everyone will come to you. Also making a backlog of 6 month wait, so you are always working. If you are sitting around everyday waiting for business to come in, you'll fail. Also getting a FFL so you can take in guns overnight is a good idea. Maybe learn how to engraving like scroll work on fancy guns. So you can build a sweet looking gun and sell it for a lot more than you paid for it is the general idea. I mean take a look at Wilson Combat or Salient Arms and places like that where they make custom pistols. Learn how to do custom finishes, like bluing or Cerakote and stuff like that. Most gunsmiths can't do everything, so finding a specialty is really the way to go.
View Quote

This ^^^ Any compentent Machinest can do gun work. Gun work tolerances are for the most part..not all that tight. It is not just machine work...firearms work involves several different trades. Jack of all master of one or two. In many cases none.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm working at a small shop in Texas that specializes in ultrasonic cleaning and minor repairs, as a way of getting my start in the field. I love it, but as others have said, there's not a lot of money in it unless you specialize in something that's really in demand or build a reputation by maintaining a good relationship with a number of high end customers. Even then, it can be a fickle trade to work in, and you'll see some lean times here and there.

I'd like to have my own little shop after I retire, so I'm slowly accumulating the best quality tools I can find as I gain more experience in this business.

I'd love to attend one of the resident courses and get some better hands-on experience at machine work and stock making, but I have my hands full supporting a family, plus a deployment coming up before too much longer, so I have to do the best I can with what's available to me in my area.

One thing is for sure, you have to love this stuff in order to be any good at it. A man's work shows his level of interest, and that's part of the reason why our customers keep coming back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top