Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2016 9:38:45 PM EDT
My mosquito needed a threaded barrel but they're unobtanium so off to the shop I went.

Quick sketch-

Cleaning up some scrap, its B7 stud material, a great source of cheap 4140ht stock.

Got it threaded for the muzzle device.

Off to the mill for some wrench flats

Setting up to turn and thread the barrel.

Installed on the gun.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Now here's the screw up-

After I got the barrel threads just like I wanted them I went to put in a thread relief at the end, I usually add this before I thread but for whatever reason I didn't, and I forgot to put the center back in the muzzle end.  Shit.  The barrel climbed the tool marred the hell out of where I had it in the chuck.  Literally the very last operation of the project bit me in the ass.

All in all the it went pretty well.  The damage is purely cosmetic and I hate this gun anyway so NBD.  The SWR Spectre does make it a hell of a lot quieter!  But the gun still doesn't cycle for shit, was kinda hoping the can may improve that, it did not.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But the gun still doesn't cycle for shit, was kinda hoping the can may improve that, it did not.

View Quote

Tilt-breech action generally needs a booster (LID/Nielsen device), especially with a can.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Mosquitos have a fixed barrel, unlike their larger brethren.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mosquitos have a fixed barrel, unlike their larger brethren.
View Quote

gotcha - try some extra lube. My Beretta 92 cycles with a can when wet, but not when more-or-less dry, and does so without a LID. Though if it's having trouble cycling even without the can, that may be an exercise in vain.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#5]
It soft strikes and short strokes all the damn time, so it definitely needs further attention.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#6]
What kind of ammo are you using?
Friend of mine has a Mosquito and it likes CCI Stingers. After we figured that out it works alot better
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Federal bulk mainly.  It runs OK on stingers or Fed Automatch, but not reliable at all.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]
A friends wife has an early mosquito that also short strokes and had soft strikes with every ammo we tried including stingers and other cci stuff.... until as a last resort we tried Remington golden bullets as sort of "well, what can it hurt"... well the damn thing ran like a champ....gave them the rest of the box to practice with and that's all they use now....
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A friends wife has an early mosquito that also short strokes and had soft strikes with every ammo we tried including stingers and other cci stuff.... until as a last resort we tried Remington golden bullets as sort of "well, what can it hurt"... well the damn thing ran like a champ....gave them the rest of the box to practice with and that's all they use now....
View Quote

Really?  I always hated how dirty those were.  Maybe I can find some to try.

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Golden Bullets is what makes my wife's Advantage Arms Glock conversion run like a top. My 10/22 never liked the stuff.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone here extend barrels professionally?  I'm tempted to try on a 9mm M&P but I'd like to talk it over with someone first.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#13]
My mosquito liked CCI mini mag ammo. That was the only stuff that I ever got it to run 100% with.

It's always the last operation. I get more and more paranoid the closer I get to finishing any machining project. I don't remember ever dicking anything up real good right off the bat.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My mosquito liked CCI mini mag ammo. That was the only stuff that I ever got it to run 100% with.

It's always the last operation. I get more and more paranoid the closer I get to finishing any machining project. I don't remember ever dicking anything up real good right off the bat.
View Quote

Nope, worst that usually comes from that is a broken center drill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top