Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2016 10:51:31 PM EDT

Ok fellas,

I have a custom made brass ramrod for a muzzleloader that has a 10-32 thread on the end. I had an extension threaded in and it broke off at the end of the actual ramrod with the threaded end in place.

it's a pretty small thread opening. I thought about drilling it out- I imagine its aluminum.

is there anything I can do myself or should I find someone else to extract the broken part?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Post a picture, please.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Post a picture, please.
View Quote

I'll try tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]
If the bit still in there isn't stuck fast, you may be able to use a pencil eraser to tease it out, or maybe a drop of wax or superglue to temporarily adhere a small stick or something to it in order to unscrew it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a tiny Ease-out set for just such things. I've removed a broken #6 screw with it
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had good luck with left handed drill bits.  Many times the broken part spins right out while you're drilling it because the torque from drilling is going in the loosening direction.

First place I'd look for drills is either McMaster-Carr or MSC.

- Chris
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
success my friends.

I had the ramrod out in the laboratory this morning looking at the broken stem. it barely had 1 thread on half of it above the groove line in the ramrod. I found the smallest locking forceps in the lab that I could find and I could make contact with that elevated thread. I put some 3 in 1 oil into it and let it run into the threads for about 30 minutes and barely touched the tip of the ramrod on my Vortex Genie mixer to vibrate it loose for just a split second.

I then opened the forceps to catch that partial thread and twisted quarter turns of the ramrod while holding the forceps in place. two full turns and it twisted the rest of the way out with my fingers.

I would have taken pictures but today was a madhouse at the lab with a possible rabies case and all the BS involved.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:22:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the bit still in there isn't stuck fast, you may be able to use a pencil eraser to tease it out, or maybe a drop of wax or superglue to temporarily adhere a small stick or something to it in order to unscrew it.
View Quote

that would have worked, after I oiled and vortexed it. it was that loose.
very good idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top