Hello, I am a young guy building up his tool collection and
recently got this drill press off craigslist for 150 dollars after some
negotiation. The guy had it on a pallet in his garage and said it came with the
property when he bought it and he never used it. Drill press pictured Below:

" />
" />

Here’s what I know
about the drill press after some research: it was made in 1947 and is a Delta
Rockwell 17” DP-600. It also came with an aftermarket quadrill 4 chuck turret.
1 tapping chuck and 3 Jacob chucks marked "6A 2A 0 - 1/2”. The quadtapper is
marked:

Note: sections "marred” were hard to read and I had to guess
some letters

Size no 1 The QuadTapper Model EQT

High Speed Tapping Head

Built by "Procunier”

For Exclusive use on the quadrill

Capacity, brass ¼”, Cast iron ¼”, Steel
3/16(marred)

Do Not Tap Larger than capacities
recommended

For Best Results Use Spiral Point
(marred) gun taps

Pat No US 1781192 Great Britain No 382510
Sept 9 1930

France 701814(marred)

Chicago Drilliet Corp Made in USA

1840 Busse Highway Des (marred)

" />

" />
" />
It also came with this oil and these threaded metal
pieces, I dont think they have anything to do with the chucks, maybe they have to do with the tapping chuck?

" />
"

Im guessing that is the oil your supposed to pour behind the name plate to lubricate the spline.

My goal is to restore this to its full working glory and use
it on various 80% kits I have. I have read some people have replaced the
bearings in these if they wore out and am trying to evaluate this to see if it
needs some, there is some wobble I am trying isolate right now I have only run
it for about 30 seconds to verify everything worked. Any tips tricks or info
anybody has that could help me restore this would be great, below are my
specific questions.

Heres what I Still Cant Figure out

1)
I figured out how to loosen the rear pully so I
can adjust the belt for speed but don’t know what each step represents for
speed does anybody have a diagram or know the math to calculate the speed?

" />
2)  
What is the knob on the left with dials

3)
I didn’t realize it when I bought this but
getting a table for it appears harder than I anticipated. Does anybody know
where I can get 3.5 in column table for this thing? Or any other cheap options? I want to get an x y axis vice and it would be nice to have a table for adjusting the z axis. It looks like with the mount on the bottom its designed to be mounted on a work bench which is what Ill probably do with it.

4)  
It seems like there is a little bit of wobble when
it is running I will put a bit in and try to measure the runout when I get a
key chuck for this in the mail.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Mount it on a steel plate and block the work up as required.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice machine is you are planning on tapping channels by hand.

Your first drill chuck is for you center drill bit, the second for your pilot drill bit, and the the taper with collects if for your tapes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice machine is you are planning on tapping channels by hand.

Your first drill chuck is for you center drill bit, the second for your pilot drill bit, and the the taper with collects if for your tapes.

I am planning on tapping alot of 3/16 holes so this will come in handy for sure. Thanks for the designations for the chucks, it makes sense.

As for the dial you asked about, it your depth of channel. Hence you zero it out against the work piece, and give you control for depths of bind channels for bind channel drilling and tapping.
OK, right now it needs adjusting as it only spins sometimes when i make the chuck moves up and down.
As for drill speeds, easy enough to figure out,and start with the RPM of the motor. When both pulley are the same size, then the spindle speed will be the same as the motor. as the pulley on the motor decreases, and the pulley on the spindle increases with the belt on it, then increases the speed on the spindle isntead. So basic tape measure of the pulley sizes against each other, will tell you the reduction or increase speed percentages of the spindle verses the constant motor speed.
The theory makes sense however someone who owned this before decided to paint of the whole engine and I cant find any nameplates to get engine rpm info from. Ill have to do more specific research on this model to see if I can narrow down the engine model.
As for the press, would start with pulling the lower quad head drive, to check it bearings/spindles, and make sure it not littered with chucks of sheared gears. The chucks pull apart like standard chucks, so a good time to clean them up and lube then as well. The quad tapper is straight forward to pull apart as well and again, since it runs a collect system to remove as much run out as possible with the system, may need to have it's bearings replaced too.

How the tapper works,

https://youtu.be/gaXtGsModG8
Wow great video I was confused about this attatchment but that video clears it up thanks. I need to buy some more tools to get this thing apart but I will start researching the about bearings and such.
As for a X/Y vice, hate to break the bad news, but unless you want to drop some serous coin, going to be looking at rubbish isntead.

Most cheaper units have so much lash to start with, that unless you have a DRO on it, your never going to be able to find the same channel on a repeat return to. Hence the reason for the press in the first place, since once you spot in the work piece, then its worked through all the processes to a finished taped channel before the work piece is moved again.

After doing some more reading it seems the overwhelming conscience is to get a quality xy table instead of vice, I will be taking this advice, thank you.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top