Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2016 10:32:59 AM EDT
I have a Browning A-bolt w/ a matte (blued?) finish.  I was bedding it this weekend & got the bright idea to use Goo Gone to remove the residue from the plumber's putty.  Well, work distracted me & I left it wet for a couple of hours.  When I returned, the bluing was completely gone in a few places.

Can anyone help me out w/ fixing this thing?  Is this something I can fix or should I just take it to a 'smith & get it redone?  I do NOT want to change the dimensions of this thing (thick coating) because I spent so much time in the bedding/prep of the stock.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Scrub it with 4-0 steel wool.
Clean it very well with solvent.
Heat it up a bit 225-250
Apply Oxphoblue with a clean rag
Let it sit a few minutes.
Apply more Oxphoblue with 4-0 steel wool
Polish/blend with the steel wool.
You've done all you can do at that point.
If it doesn't look right send it off for a hot blue ob
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Scrub it with 4-0 steel wool.
Clean it very well with solvent.
Heat it up a bit 225-250
Apply Oxphoblue with a clean rag
Let it sit a few minutes.
Apply more Oxphoblue with 4-0 steel wool
Polish/blend with the steel wool.
You've done all you can do at that point.
If it doesn't look right send it off for a hot blue ob
View Quote

Awesome, thanks!  Did some reading/videos on oxpho-blue & just ordered some.  Looks like it will work just fine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Oxpho blue in the liquid has worked well for me plugging old screw holes on tapped barrels.  I think it likes older softer steels better than the harder ones.  I only have done a few jobs with it though so I'm no authority and stand to be corrected.

I might skip the steel wool though and use a clean toothbrush.  Might save the texture of the original finish.  You said matte so I'm assuming there is some texture or bead blasted finish.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#4]
If "goo-gone" removed it  paint is far more likely than blue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top