Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2016 8:22:51 PM EDT

Whadda ya got?

Wadda I need to etch lowers?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Something that would etch aluminum. Not any of the cheap things out there for around $200. I have looked and a good one is at least $700 and up.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Look into electrochemical etching. Now, for an AR lower this will only work so long as it's not anodized yet (don't know if you're doing 80% lowers or not). If you are using already finished/anodized lowers, then yeah, laser is your best option.

I haven't finished the whole video yet (hence the teaser) but it should give you a good idea as to how nice the etched can turn out. Also, the video shows me using a steel AK receiver, but the process actually works even better on aluminum:

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to run a Baasel 60Watt  Nd-YAg laser system water cooled , even the control computer was water cooled - so believe me when I say these beast use power. Ours had a minimum idle power of 24 KVa on 230V 3ph

Now days you can get a decent starter sealed CO2 tube table top system for about $5000 FOB China and shipping insurance and customs fees will add plenty more.

Cheaper systems can be had - better deal if the company has a US stocking distributer. Otherwise I would say - Pay less = Cry More. You won't be happy with the results of lower cost/quality systems or the units that do seem to work well seem to be pushing the limits and have shorter service life before requiring a major refit. ( new power supply, laser tube, mirrors, and maybe lenses it they have become pitted.)

My Uncle is heading to the next IMTS to shop for a new laser system.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I used to run a Baasel 60Watt  Nd-YAg laser system water cooled , even the control computer was water cooled - so believe me when I say these beast use power. Ours had a minimum idle power of 24 KVa on 230V 3ph

Now days you can get a decent starter sealed CO2 tube table top system for about $5000 FOB China and shipping insurance and customs fees will add plenty more.

Cheaper systems can be had - better deal if the company has a US stocking distributer. Otherwise I would say - Pay less = Cry More. You won't be happy with the results of lower cost/quality systems or the units that do seem to work well seem to be pushing the limits and have shorter service life before requiring a major refit. ( new power supply, laser tube, mirrors, and maybe lenses it they have become pitted.)

My Uncle is heading to the next IMTS to shop for a new laser system.
View Quote

I'm looking at Boss or Epilog machines, both US made, both ~$5-7k. I'm just exploring doing a start up and lasing more than just firearms.

It's amazing the caliber of the work I'm seeing. It appears that these machines will etch about anything a person can draw on CorelDraw on damn near any non-reflective surface.

What's IMTS? Machine tool show?

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#5]
International Manufacturing Technology Show 2016 September 12 - 17, 2016  McCormick Place  Chicago, IL.

Largest tool show in the western hemisphere, so large it is only done on even ended years as it needs 2 years to prepare for the next one.

I hear good things about Epilog, though I have not taken any time to look into it myself recently. I just bought a CNC turning center in Feb, and now I am buying MiG and Tig machines. Power company came out last Thurs and upgraded our transformer by 250%.

If our .gov or a coalition of governments were to address the way the Chicom manipulate the currency exchange rate I think that a lot more manufacturing work would stay domestic.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#6]
K40 lasers, sold on Ebay for under 400 dollars shipped. It's not a perfect laser by any means but it works. It's not going to engrave aluminum but you can cut vinyl masks to do electro etch with (or if there are better coating you can put on the aluminum before etch).

Anodized surfaces can be engraved directly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:10:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:48:03 AM EDT
[#8]
If this is for homemade actions or receiver it doesn't really matter, since there is no requirement for a serial number.

But for anything else electro etching will take care of any possible requirement since it will etch deep enough.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Etching vs engraving, etching is essentially removing finish and exposing bare metal, only down to the depth of the finish, where as engraving creates depth.   Most of the CO2 lasers on the market are in the 40W range, you can buy ones with bigger tubes, or retrofit.  40W will not engrave aluminum, but will etch it, be it through paint, anodizing, powder coating, etc.  That will not meet the ATF specifications for depth of engraving.  

Below is a piece of wood that was engraved and filled in with paint, and a piece of powdercoated sheet aluminum etched.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Look into electrochemical etching. Now, for an AR lower this will only work so long as it's not anodized yet (don't know if you're doing 80% lowers or not). If you are using already finished/anodized lowers, then yeah, laser is your best option.

I haven't finished the whole video yet (hence the teaser) but it should give you a good idea as to how nice the etched can turn out. Also, the video shows me using a steel AK receiver, but the process actually works even better on aluminum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhukkGyTSNw
View Quote
What is the issue with using an anodized lower? Too little conductivity or is the surface protected from the etching liquid?

Could you scrape a little anodizing off in a hard to see area, then reblacken the part to make it work?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Anodized coating is nonconductive so it will do absolutely nothing when you attempt to etch it. What you can try is use a laser to burn off the anodizing (I don't know the power needed to do this, normally laser just turns the coating white) and then just try to electro etch it. The anodized coating will not conduct and will not be etched. Or else you will have to selectively remove the anodized coating by pouring lye over the mask, and then etch.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Etching vs engraving, etching is essentially removing finish and exposing bare metal, only down to the depth of the finish[/url]
View Quote

My etches are definitely deeper than the finish depth. I've etched straight through a scrap piece of AK receiver (1mm) once. Definitely well within the ATF depth:

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My etches are definitely deeper than the finish depth. I've etched straight through a scrap piece of AK receiver (1mm) once. Definitely well within the ATF depth:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/AEnemaBay/Sales/IMG_5148Large_zps9cff10f4.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Etching vs engraving, etching is essentially removing finish and exposing bare metal, only down to the depth of the finish[/url]

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/AEnemaBay/Sales/IMG_5148Large_zps9cff10f4.jpg

Yes, but if your etches are electro-etching (as mentioned above) and not laser, we're not only in different pews, but also in different churches and denominations.  

http://www.permanentmarking.com/what-are-the-differences-between-laser-marking-laser-engraving-and-laser-etching/
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, but if your etches are electro-etching (as mentioned above) and not laser, we're not only in different pews, but also in different churches and denominations.  

http://www.permanentmarking.com/what-are-the-differences-between-laser-marking-laser-engraving-and-laser-etching/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, I see now what you're saying. I've always just assumed that a laser that etches also engraves. Laser systems have always been outside my price range so I never really studied up on them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#15]
You can get a K40 laser, less than 400 dollars delivered. It can engrave anodized metal, plastic, or cut vinyl sheets to allow you to etch later. If only I can find a good paint I can put directly on aluminum, then I can just engrave the paint off and then etch.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You can get a K40 laser, less than 400 dollars delivered. It can engrave anodized metal, plastic, or cut vinyl sheets to allow you to etch later. If only I can find a good paint I can put directly on aluminum, then I can just engrave the paint off and then etch.
View Quote

VHT flat black header paint - will resist till the last second. (rattle can at your better auto parts stores)

Chances are if your laser can burn through the color skin of the anodize, then swab the area with NaOH ( Sodium Hydroxide ) that should break through enough of the anodize and Aluminum Oxide that the surface is now conductive enough for electro chem etch. ( Rinse very well in plane water after NaOH.) The really nice thing about this method is that the remaining anodize acts as your stencil.

I would beta test on a HF $1 or free flashlight not a good receiver.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

VHT flat black header paint - will resist till the last second. (rattle can at your better auto parts stores)

Chances are if your laser can burn through the color skin of the anodize, then swab the area with NaOH ( Sodium Hydroxide ) that should break through enough of the anodize and Aluminum Oxide that the surface is now conductive enough for electro chem etch. ( Rinse very well in plane water after NaOH.) The really nice thing about this method is that the remaining anodize acts as your stencil.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll give it a shot here at some point when I get some time, hell, might even try it on an Anderson receiver, maybe on the grip tang.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top