Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2016 10:42:54 AM EDT
I recently got my approval for the Gemtech Mist-22 10/22 integral silencer and so far I have been less than happy. I purchased this setup so that I could keep bulk pack subsonic, but the new barrel port location is further out to reduce fouling and all of my bulk pack goes super-sonic. Can a  gunsmith add ports to the barrel to reduce the velocity without affecting accuracy? Will ports added closer to the muzzle end still reduce velocity? I would like to avoid adding ports near the chamber due to the fouling that builds up on the suppressor shroud threads. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
By adding ports outside the suppresor you will negate the sound suppression.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe Gemtech said they will modify non-ported barrels upon request, possibly for a fee. I would contact them directly before doing anything to it through a normal gunsmith.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#3]
NEVER let a gunsmith work on your suppressors.. (IMO)
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Short answer is No.

At the best case, barrel could be ported in the grooves of the barrel twist, but your still paying with interrupted lands of the rifling that the thin waxed/plated bullet has to move through, and it not going to end up in your favor.  Also, there is the option of just back boring the barrel deeper from the muzzle end, but may end up with a baffle strike instead.

So would be best just forgo the porting, and spend the money on something like CCI standard velocity ammo now isntead.  
22lr ammo is becoming available again, and although the prices are still somewhat high, they will soon drop down again instead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
without affecting accuracy?

Short answer is No.

At the best case, barrel could be ported in the grooves of the barrel twist, but your still paying with interrupted lands of the rifling that the thin waxed/plated bullet has to move through, and it not going to end up in your favor.  Also, there is the option of just back boring the barrel deeper from the muzzle end, but may end up with a baffle strike instead.

So would be best just forgo the porting, and spend the money on something like CCI standard velocity ammo now isntead.  
22lr ammo is becoming available again, and although the prices are still somewhat high, they will soon drop down again instead.

Thanks for the input. I wonder if Gemtech can fill the port for me since it doesn't really do anything but make cleaning a pain in the butt....
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top