Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2016 10:43:02 AM EDT

So the bolt stop will hold the bolt open when an empty mag
is in place.  
Unfortunately, it will not
hold the bolt open when the gun runs dry.

Bad news for reloads in a DMR match this weekend.

The bolt stop will hold the bolt open when no mag is in the
gun but just barely, when you can get it to do it, any sudden jarring will
cause the bolt to drop.  
Not good when
the RO wants you to have a bolt open without a mag in your gun between
CoF.
 I got around that one by putting in
a OBI.

So after the match I look to see what the problem is.  If you look when the three photo group I
posted, my bolt stop at max travel sits low against the bolt in the top photo
(no mag in), middle photo (mag in), a photo from the web.

In that last photo from the web, you can see their bolt stop
sits high enough so that it almost touch the circular part of the bolt, mine is
nowhere close, thus accounting for the slippage.

So to me, the problem lies with either the bolt stop or the
detent/spring that controls how much travel it have (second photo).  
What I have done is to look at how high the
bolt stop will go with or without the detent/spring in place and it makes no
difference.
 That tells me filing down
the detent or cutting the spring will do nothing to help me.
 My conclusion is I need to file back on the
bolt stop in the area indicated by the red arrow.
 This to me should work – anybody with
experience care to comment if this is the right move?

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I went ahead and put it to the grinder - worked perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tip,very helpful.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Glad it is useful for someone else.

I've know that this gun was finicky but since the club I shoot at does not normally allowed shooting out of a mag , I've always thought the problem was a mag related problem, not true.  The DMR match was a good place to test gear and this was one of the gem that I got from shooting it.  Kind of sucks when you are shooting but now I am ahead because of it.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:52:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]

It could well be the lower that is not deep enough. But without the specs to check, I have no way to figure out which if both of them is the problem.

However, for my purpose which is to get the rifle to work, fixing the bolt stop vs. the depth of the lower is a no brainer.  A hell of a lot easier and the same results....

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently cured my bolt stop and my feed problems by giving the front edge of my hammer more room in the receiver.  It seems that my hammer would not depress completely because the front side was making contact inside the housing causing the bolt to ride up as it moved to the rear. this rise caused the bolt face to not contact the the block completely and also upon return as the bolt moved forward it canted down slightly as it rode off of the hammer.  

To check open the upper and while shining a light down the leading edged of the housing depress the trigger and see if it makes contact with the housing. If so a medium dremel disc will fit and take off a small amount of material to give clearance.

Also you might watch while someone pulls your bolt back slowly and even use something like an exacto blade to help notice if the bolt moves straight back or if the rear rises and the front cants down as it moves across the bolt and encounters a "bottomed out" hammer.

Hope this helps. I did all kinds of other checks and changes with bolt stops, springs etc. before my buddy came across this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top