Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2016 2:00:48 PM EDT
want to have my Ruger 22/45 barrel shortened and threaded for a can. What can I expect to pay for this? Can you recommend someone good?
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Have a guy near here that charges about $150,  which is why i bought a second rimfire that was already threaded.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Clark Custom Guns offers that service.

Check them out here:

http://clarkcustomguns.com/gunsmithing-services/ruger-mki-mkii-mkiii-ruger-22-45-sw-41/

I had them rebarrel a MKII which a local shop drilled through the barrel and into the chamber when drilling for a scope mount.

I provided a barrel and they installed it.  I was vary satisfied with the barrel work... however the remount of the Volquartsen Picatinny was disappointing... as they did not reset one mount screw location holes.  I would have gladly paid extra to do it right the first time.

I am sure you know that the barrel action/receiver is the serial numbered part and overnight shipping is expensive since you are shipping a "firearm"
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Where in OH are you?

How close to ADCO?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in NE Ohio and they are in NW Ohio.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I would recommend sending it to ADCO.

Price would be dependent on how far you could strip it down before sending it to them and what exactly you want done.

If you could send just the barrel and only want it cut down and threaded it should be $65

If you need sights relocated, thread protector, etc. could add more

https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Jim Pixley in Minnesota is good, I've been happy with his work.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Just order the threaded version.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Must suck not having a lathe handy and knowing how to use it.
On questions like this, by the time I even think up such, I have already completed such work isntead.

Hell, you don't even have to pull the barrel from the receiver.  
Bore gauge that you can use with a live center, allows you to off set the receiver in the 4 jaw chuck to get the bore line on access.centered.
Once the receiver is set, pull the gauge, and use the live center in the muzzle to thread the barrel on the far side of the lathe instead.  
Once the barrel has been threaded and the muzzle cap lathed flush with the OD of the barrel, install your over size short doner threaded cap to the barrel threaded that will exspose the end of the barrel, take a thousands off it center it's OD to the bore with it threaded on the barrel while still using the live center, then you can kick out the live center and bring in a Roller steady rest on the doner end piece so you can re-crown the muzzle as the last step.

Bluntly, once a barrel has been installed on a action, the last thing that I want to have to do is pull it back off, chancing marring or even having to reset head space.  
So because of this, when I have a barrel action, will just the other end of the lathe to do the needed work instead.

View Quote

Award for most uppity reply of the day.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#12]
After looking into this further I have concluded that it isn't financially wise to thread a barrel for a suppressor. You can buy a new one that is threaded cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:22:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Jim Pixley in Minnesota is good, I've been happy with his work.

http://jpgrips.com/

View Quote

I concur.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After looking into this further I have concluded that it isn't financially wise to thread a barrel for a suppressor. You can buy a new one that is threaded cheaper.
View Quote

Yep.

Right before they started selling threaded guns all over the place I picked up an old MkII for $150 (rough but nice bore). I spent well over $200 having the barrel threaded, turned down to clean it up, and moving the front sight back. Then another 100 or so parking the frame and coating everything. So ~ $500 for a Ruger with a threaded barrel...and I started with a pretty cheap one. I should have just procrastinated for a couple years like I usually do...

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really?  Just how inexpensive are you finding the 22/45 barreled action?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top