Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2016 10:56:55 PM EDT
I've wanted a new trigger/sear for an SMG so I made a working (dry-firing) prototype from aluminum.  I'd like to go ahead and make one from steel now.  My friend has a proper heat treat oven that I can use to harden it, but what material should I be using that will be machinable, and then has available data for proper hardening?

Theses are the guys I buy from: http://metals.shopjfi.com/?l=1

I'm new to all this.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#1]
4140 is good so is O1 tool steel if you properly heat treat to Rc 45-50 or so. S7 would be best but a bit more $.
For small quantities try McMaster-Carr
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4140 is good so is O1 tool steel if you properly heat treat to Rc 45-50 or so. S7 would be best but a bit more $.
View Quote

IMHO, I would skip the 4140 and go straight to a quality tool steel. S7 is a pretty good recommendation with a proper heat treating setup, that would be my choice.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:40:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  Can the S7 be machined with standard HSS tooling?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  Can the S7 be machined with standard HSS tooling?
View Quote

Yes, no problem pre-hardened, but obviously carbide would be better
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Just whatever you do, don't stop the endmill in the middle of a cut if you use S7.  It work hardens almost instantly from the friction of the endmill against it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just whatever you do, don't stop the endmill in the middle of a cut if you use S7.  It work hardens almost instantly from the friction of the endmill against it.
View Quote

Good to know.  I'm using a manual machine...
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:00:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you use solid carbide end mills work hardening is much less of an issue. It still happens but the carbide will cut thru it with little effort.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]
It is not a large part.
A piece of O1 tool steel and a torch to anneal it for forming.
Then harden and drop in oil.
Anneal.
Adjust edge with stones.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It is not a large part.
Anneal.
Adjust edge with stones.
View Quote

What is the thought behind annealing it before hardening and then annealing it again after hardening?
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What is the thought behind annealing it before hardening and then annealing it again after hardening?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is not a large part.
Anneal.
Adjust edge with stones.

Working on annealed metal is easier and often more precise.

You then harden the metal.
Localized hardening is often a PITA on a small part.
Just harden the whole thing.
Anneal it to then leave a hard surface with better wear characteristics and less chance of fracturing or chipping at sharp edges.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Working on annealed metal is easier and often more precise. In most cases, unless you specifically order it otherwise, tool-steels come annealed already. No need to anneal again unless you're just dying to burn oven time. FWIW, annealling S7 requires heating to at least 1550 then cooling at a rate not to exceed 50 degrees per hour. So it's a 2-day job just to annealed. O1 has a slower cooling rate yet.

You then harden the metal.
Localized hardening is often a PITA on a small part.
Just harden the whole thing.
Anneal it to then leave a hard surface with better wear characteristics and less chance of fracturing or chipping at sharp edges.How do you propose this is done? Are you saying to just anneal a certain spot and not the hard surface? How is it possible to get the inner core to annealing temperature then slowly ramp it down slowly without getting the surface over 600 degrees? If you want a hard surface but soft inner structure (for shock resistance) then it's better to use a metal like 8620 etc and carburize it so only the surface hardens. Your suggestion to us O1 seems a bit out of place with your process. S7 is a shock resistant tool-steel (note the S in the name), there is no need for the processing you suggest except for maybe a temper to reduce brittleness. Did you mean to say "temper" instead of your 2nd "anneal"?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#12]
You would want to "harden"  and then "temper"  the sear, not anneal. If you anneal a sear bad things will happen.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You would want to "harden"  and then "temper"  the sear, not anneal. If you anneal a sear bad things will happen.
View Quote

Technically temper.

Same oven at a lower temp.

It is easy to look up the temps for 'graded' steel.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

IMHO, I would skip the 4140 and go straight to a quality tool steel. S7 is a pretty good recommendation with a proper heat treating setup, that would be my choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly! This!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top