Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2016 3:22:47 PM EDT
Before I posted, I did a search, no hits.  So, can the owner /builder send out the lower to have someone with the correct tooling do the serializing OR must the owner /builder do this step also as part of the manufacturing for private use.  I have read the post concerning lowers that a owner /builder is NOT required to serialize but it is recommended by BATF.  Since its not going to be on anyone's paper, I want to serialize.  So, can I send it out or do I have to do it?  If I have to do it, who is recommended...say from NC to TX?  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have it serialized before you manufacture it into a firearm you can send it to anyone who does engraving
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that what most here do...send it out before any work is done?  Ok, can someone recommend a good shop that can serialize and anodize?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Whats the benefit of serializing your 80% lower?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Can put a personalized serial on it with what ever you want.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Whats the benefit of serializing your 80% lower?
View Quote
Just I.D. in case of theft, I'd imagine, for return.

But I can't believe it'd help all that much anymore with the current climate of gun-grabbers.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:51:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Send it to Ident Marking

Or buy these and make your own. Preferably somewhere sturdy like the fire control area prior to milling or the pistol grip tang
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have the engraving done before anymore work is done anyone can engrave it.

If you do anything up to and including completing the receiver, you'd have to send it to a licensed gunsmith to engrave.

Some smiths have taken a very conservative approach and will refuse to do this for a home built receiver, my advice would be to call around and ask.

I have had good luck using local engravers before any other work was performed for the ones I wanted engraved.

I have heard "Things Remembered" is a fairly regular place to do this if you don't have any other local sources.

As for anodizing, I'd recommend US Anodizing after everything else is completed, but any licensed place that can anodize could be used.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Things Remembered will not do any engraving on any part that is for a gun, even if it is not a black gun. They are an ANTI GUN company. Most of them will have a small sign stating that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Things Remembered will not do any engraving on any part that is for a gun, even if it is not a black gun. They are an ANTI GUN company. Most of them will have a small sign stating that.
View Quote

It's not a gun, they have that sign because they don't hold a FFL.

I've seen at least 2 around my area that have done them and read many more stories from around the country YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top