Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2016 2:32:12 AM EDT
I went to the range recently and put some rounds through my Model 64 .38. I had an issue with it while firing in single action. The hammer was extremely difficult to cock on some of the shots. It got to the point that I could not even cock it on a few of the shots. I stopped at that point. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on with it. I am trying to avoid the gunsmith and see if I can take care of it myself but not real familiar with revolver internal workings.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#1]
When cocking a revolver is hard only on certain chambers, the first thing to do is check and see that the cylinder turns freely by swinging it out and spinning it. Then check for carbon fouling build up on the face of the cylinder and brush it of, if so. (The space between the cylinder face and forcing cone should be approx. .006") Then look inside the window where the hand protrudes to check for fouling in there. If the problem is still not corrected it's time to go inside for further investigation. You will need a gunsmith for this otherwise you wouldn't be posting this. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Couple of places to check.... and these are common.... look for debris (unburned powder) under the extractor) between the extractor and the cylinder), and between the crane and the frame.

"stuff" in these areas will bring things to a grinding halt in short order.... slow powders (ie. H110/Win 296, 2400 and 4227 are prime suspects)
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Add high primers to the list. Also check the the ejector rod isn't coming loose and binding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top