Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2016 10:14:35 PM EDT
I've had a Pro Shot Premium cleaning rod for a few years. It has some sort of vinyl coating on it and I noticed about midway down the vinyl is beginning to peel off.

Can I just peel it off and keep using it (I believe it is stainless steel underneath ? )   I use this in my ar's and Sks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've had a Pro Shot Premium cleaning rod for a few years. It has some sort of vinyl coating on it and I noticed about midway down the vinyl is beginning to peel off.

Can I just peel it off and keep using it (I believe it is stainless steel underneath ? )   I use this in my ar's and Sks.
View Quote

Mine are carbon or they are brass wrapped with vinyl, so both are good to go
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:02:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Stainless is softer than any kind of barrel steel so you can clean a LOT with a bare rod.

That said, grit gets embedded in the stainless and WILL do damage.

I wish there was some way to repair the vinyl on my rod but there isn't.

I ALWAYS use a bore guide when cleaning. And I clean the chamber, not the muzzle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can find heat shrink tubing by the foot, that might be a viable option for re-coating your cleaning rod.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can find heat shrink tubing by the foot, that might be a viable option for re-coating your cleaning rod.

View Quote

You think the stainless will hold debris- what is the soft surface of the heat shrink going to do?

Spend the money, get a new rod.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You think the stainless will hold debris- what is the soft surface of the heat shrink going to do?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already have a set of carbon fiber rods, but in any case, I use bore guides if I have to clean from the muzzle, so there's that.

if I have a perfectly good cleaning rod lying around the shop and I can save it with a little ingenuity, I figure why not?

I made a new 22 cleaning rod out of a nice Dewey stainless rod that had lost its threaded tip. Peened it flat, ground it to contour, then slotted it to hold patches. Waste not, want not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top