Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2016 3:29:48 AM EDT
I know, I know, Woodmaster's are notorious fro problems, jamming, stuck bolts, and all that.  

My issue is not the bolt stuck open, as is most of them, as I have read about.  

Chain of events...

Cleaned it the last time I took it to the range (as I do with all my weapons)

Stored in the safe.

Got a new bottle of Hoppe's 9 Bench Rest Copper solvent.  

Cleaned it like I normally do, wet/dry patches till the dry one is clean.

Released the bolt, and that's when it stuck, in the closed position.  Dropped the magazine, and everything looks good, no burs, oiled up nicely just wont open.

I can move it backwards about 1/8th to 1/4 inch.  Lugs are rotating but the bolt will not move any further back.  What gives, NEVER had a jam, stuck open bolt, jammed cartridge, any of the problems I've read about.

I know there are 742 haters out there, but I love mine, both the .243 and 30-06  

Any thought on what happened, and how to get the bolt open?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Tap charging handle with rubber mallet a few times.
If that does not work you are prob going to have to break it all the way down
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one of mine apart over 30 years ago (firing pin return spring broke and locked up the firing pin inside the bolt).

If I remember correctly, after you remove the for end and screw you have to use a big wrench (I probably used a crescent wrench) to loosen that nut on the gas/action tube under the barrel right there at the receiver.  Once you've got that loose/off the receiver the barrel and bolt should pull out, along with the action rod/gas system.  You might have to pull the guts out of the receiver to really get a "handle" on the bolt.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tap charging handle with rubber mallet a few times.
If that does not work you are prob going to have to break it all the way down
View Quote

This...

What your are describing is the typical 742 jam that starts to happen due to bolt lug wear after its lived its life. Remington made the last 742 in 1980. You've (and it) have earned the right to buy a new gun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Pull the magazine and drop the trigger assembly.  I know its unlikely, but make sure nothing is binding in the trigger assembly with the bolt moving rearwards. I've worked on tons of these guns, but can never remember one locking in the forward position.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:41:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Got the bolt moving again, took it down and there was a small (1/8) pin, about 1/4 inch long that I discovered that apparently had the bolt jammed.  No flippin clue where it came from, but everything seems to be in working order, the action works fine, but I have not had a chance to get to the range with it.  

Thinking I should drop by the local smitty to have him check it out before I hit the range.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]
It sounds like it may be the bolt handle pin, although I am not sure how it would have worked its way out...they're difficult enough to tap out with a punch!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top