Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2016 12:09:50 AM EDT
Mostly my fault I was to lazy to get the good rod and brushes downstairs.  I used a Otis cable w/ a worn brass brush for quick clean after a range trip.  I thought if I wrapped the brush w/ some cotton patch it wouldn't hurt to tighten the fit a bit.  I've actually done this before, but I honestly don't know what the hell happened but I guess the cotton binded up terrible and like a dipshit I just kept pulling .  so I tapped it out in the same direction as bullet travels out of barrel with a 3/16 rod I had in the garage.  I don't know what the rod material was but wasn't copper, so I wrapped it in electrical tape after I chamfered the end of the rod to make it more "gouge" proof.  
I actually had to tap it pretty hard to get it out though and it bothered me to start at the throat end...
question is what are the chances of damage?  Barrel is cold hammer forged and chrome lined.  What is to much abuse to the point it becomes noticeable as far as accuracy?  I finished the job and very very carefully examined barrel in several different lights and see absolutely nothing different but I don't have a bore scope.  It looks very shiny (probably more than ussuall ). I'm hoping it isn't any different then a round exploding, and expelling a hard bullet or worse, a stuck squib round getting beaten out.  I am actually a little bothered by this.  what do you think?

Thanks and this is why we shouldn't buy used firearms, lol.  I'm so ashamed of myself.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:17:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Chrome lining os pretty damn hard stuff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd try pouring some opil down there to help reduce friction and loosen things up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#4]
without a bore scope, you'll never see any damage that may have been done in mid bore.

with that said, if the rod still had the tape on it when you were finished, you are probably fine. It takes a pretty hard substance with an edge to actually damage a chrome lines bore...

Next time soak the barrel and the obstruction in oil by filling the bore with just enough oil to put about an inch infront of the obstruction. If you fill an AR, the oil will leak down the gas tube and make a mess. Leave it upright for the night and next day use brass rod ( the largest you can get that will fit down the bore) to push (or pound) it out.

I have done this for several people with squib rounds, stuck brushes and broken bore snakes and all required only  hand pressure or a few light taps with a hammer to clear the barrel.

If its a copper bore brush, you can also plug the chamber and fill it enough to soak in a good copper solvent like M-Pro7 and within a couple hours there will be enough of the brush eaten away to have it almost fall out on its own...
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd try pouring some opil down there to help reduce friction and loosen things up.
View Quote

This. Any time a patch gets stuck I saturate it with CLP and let it soak through the patch. Usually comes out pretty easy after that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top