Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2015 10:14:37 PM EDT
So I want to purchase an arbor press to drive some roll pins for trigger guards on AR lowers. I have seen where people modify the ram to hold pin punches by drilling the bottom of the ram.

What are some alternate ways to attach a pin punch? Ideas like magnets come to mind but what would you do?

Thanks for sharing
jonblack
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Drill a hole in a 1/4" plate and attach that plate however you see best to the ram? Could just put the pin directly into the plate then.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I just noticed some small arbor presses on eBay that already have a 1/2" hole drilled in the bottom of the ram.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#3]
What's wrong with the old hammer and punch???

I've put together dozens of lowers and never had a problem. Maybe  I'm missing something???
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Just use a  c-clamp if you must 'press'.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used a Harbor Freight one on every trigger guard pin I've installed. Hold pin in hemostats, apply light pressure, remove hemo's push home.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Large type with jaws taped worked great for me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Y'all are over thinking it. Trigger guard roll pins are a breeze. First mistake most people make is they don't support the "ears" well enough. Use a 1/2" thick piece of hardwood, HDPE or similar to back it up and support it. Now use a piece of vacuum tubing or similar on your roll pin punch hold the pin. A dab of grease on the pin helps to help it through the ear.
Most folks make the mistake of little baby taps to drive the pin. A few good dedicated raps are better than a bunch of little baby taps.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a ton of experience driving roll pins with punches. I have a large assortment of roll pin holders and drivers. Now I want an arbor press to dedicate to the task.

Kinda like wanting a compound sliding miter saw when I have been using a miter box for years.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used a Harbor Freight one on every trigger guard pin I've installed. Hold pin in hemostats, apply light pressure, remove hemo's push home.
View Quote

So you are just using the ram to drive the pin? Good idea. How do you get the pin to go a little lower than flush?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 3:40:19 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

this is my goto tool for ar assembly.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm guessing you don't have a mill?  Otherwise you'd be talking about milling out pin holders.  But if you had a mill you could just use the quill and a chuck to hold stuff.

OP- you need a Bridgeport.

On a more serious note- how about drilling/tapping the ram and the making a punch holder that bolts on?  Ya, this will limit your press stroke, but if we're planning on dedicated tooling...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So you are just using the ram to drive the pin? Good idea. How do you get the pin to go a little lower than flush?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes pushes it right to flush and I don't obsess over minutia so it being .00000675 shallow on one side in relation to the other matters not to me. If it did I would used a ball bearing to finish seat it.

A small Arbor press is handy as fuck, not just for driving trigger guard pins.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I was making parts to adapt my rcbs uniflow to my lnl. I had one interference fit pin to seat.  I made a solid insert for my old lyman single stage press to use instead of a shell holder.  Then I threaded a piece of 7/8 rod and drilled a small hole in one end to hold the pin. In this case I was pushing the pin through a plate so it had 1/2" or so protruding.  So there are aligned holes in the shell holder and the threaded driver.  If I wanted to set flush I'd start the pin and then reverse the threaded driver.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm guessing you don't have a mill?  Otherwise you'd be talking about milling out pin holders.  But if you had a mill you could just use the quill and a chuck to hold stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't have a mill yet. I want something that can be used on a benchtop, something cheap enough that I can dedicate to the task.

Don't even get me started about wanting a Bridgeport!

Quoted:
On a more serious note- how about drilling/tapping the ram and the making a punch holder that bolts on?  Ya, this will limit your press stroke, but if we're planning on dedicated tooling...

It seems that is what most people do. I just didn't want to limit myself in the unplanned event I would want to use the arbor press for another task. I'm sure a 3/8" hole in the end of the ram wouldn't really hurt anything.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#15]
If that's what I wanted to do I'd drill/tap the end of the ram, prob 1/2" or 3/8".  Then you can thread in a pin punch or a solid end.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:12:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't have a mill yet. I want something that can be used on a benchtop, something cheap enough that I can dedicate to the task.

It seems that is what most people do. I just didn't want to limit myself in the unplanned event I would want to use the arbor press for another task. I'm sure a 3/8" hole in the end of the ram wouldn't really hurt anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You just use a piece of drill rod to fill the hole.
Or better yet make a replaceable ram face.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:34:57 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Thats my standard roll pin tool. Get it started using needle nose pliers to hold the pin.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:10:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

This. Both the bolt release pin and the trigger guard pin get driven with a pair of channellocks.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I used vice grips until I found the Little Crow Gunworks roll pin pusher. It is pretty simple but it was worth the money for me.

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/rpp.html
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Any descent arbor press will already be channeled and set screwed for a end insert.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Any descent arbor press will already be channeled and set screwed for a end insert.

Thanks Dano. I see you are one of the ones who "gets" what I am trying to do. Sure I can use Channel Lock pliers, but I don't want to. Hence the title of the thread. I think the arbor press you pictured is probably the one I was looking at on eBay.
Quoted:
So making a spring loaded magnetic roll pin starter insert tip is a walk in the park to install the arbor press.
Hence end of the rod will have the tip on the right, and the part of the left is going to be spring loaded over the tip on the right.  So the sleeve will hold the pin in place as you start to drive the pin in, and as the sleeve gets to the receiver edge, will spring back so the pin can be driven in the rest of the way.

I will have to give this a little thought. It may be a little complicated but I think it is a useful suggestion.
Quoted:
So from here, you need to make a lower block that will reinforce the lower receiver so you don't break the ear tab off the lower receiver when pressing the pin in.

That R Guns block is pretty nice. I think I will probably make my own block (as you suggested) that will be a semi-dedicated fixture on the arbor press.

Thanks for brainstorming and offering the great ideas.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I picked up a 1 ton arbor press from Harbor Freight a couple of nights ago. The casting is a little rough but I think that is to be expected. I made a brass shim to replace the steel shim and everything seems pretty tight. I will do the "ratchet" mod where you grind down a couple of teeth. Then I will drill a hole in the end of the ram and work up a jig to hold a lower in place. I will try to keep this thread update in case other people are interested in using an arbor press to drive roll pins.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 3:41:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm pretty sure the HF arbor press will work just fine for my needs. It will surely drive pins as "square" as driving pins with a roll pin punch and hammer, and most definitely more "square" than squeezing a pin in with a pair of channel locks.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#26]
OK, I had a little time to work on the arbor press today.

First thing I did was the mod where you grind two teeth off of the ram. This will allow the arbor press to "ratchet" so the handle can be placed in an optimal position on the down stroke.

I just used a bench grinder and small file. The I touched the ram up using a wire wheel on the bench grinder.

I had previously made a brass gib plate.

I cut the brass piece out of an old ashtray using a dremel tool. I didn't bother to square it up since if fit in the pocket just fine. Plus that means there is more surface area anyway.

Looks like I will have a lifetime supply of brass to make gib plates.

Next I made a platen to hold an AR-15 lower receiver. I had some 1" particle board that had Formica on both sides of it. It was some scrap that I had laying around but it did make a nice platen, at least to mock up the receiver jig for the arbor press.

I then made a piece to reinforce the trigger guard "ear" when driving in the roll pin. I like to buy the large delrin (or whatever they are made of) cutting boards at Sam's Club. For under $10 I get a lot of material to make jigs and soft-faced driving blocks.

I used my jointer to get the delrin to the correct dimension to full support the trigger guard ear.

The delrin piece is sized so that you just "bump" the lower receiver up and it will be in position to drive the roll pin.

Next I had to figure out how to hold and drive the roll pin. I had some old broken punches laying around that I thought about using. But then I would have to drill a hole in the face of the ram. As mentioned in my opening post, I had previously thought about using magnets. Well, I had some small square magnets laying around and...voila! Behold my roll pin "holder."

The cool thing about using the magnet to hold to roll pin (aside from the obvious reasons) is that you can easily reposition the roll pin should there be subtle variations from lower to lower. As long as I don't try to slam the pin in the hole I should be OK and not damage the finish on the trigger guard ear.

There is already a roll pin in the lower shown in these photos. Yes, I drove the roll pin using this press. I just wanted you to be able to get a better idea hold the magnet holds the roll pin.

Now, I just need to fine tune everything and figure out a good way to mount the platen to the arbor press. I might machine out a piece of aluminum for the platen, just to make it look cool. I do kinda like the protection the Formica offers, though.

Thanks for looking and I hope this little project might inspire others, especially if you already own an arbor press.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Great engineering there.

I'm still wondering what's wrong with my little ball peen hammer and the correct size punch. I've installed dozens of pins  this way and haven't had any trouble at all.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Great engineering there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Great engineering there.

Thank you sir. The idea of using an arbor press is not unique to me. I fist saw it on the Windham Factory Tour videos on YouTube.

I'm still wondering what's wrong with my little ball peen hammer and the correct size punch.

Nothing in the world is wrong with it. I enjoy punches myself.

Here's my kit.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've installed dozens of pins  this way and haven't had any trouble at all.
View Quote

I always had trouble not leaving a little mark when I used a hammer and punch. I guess I don't have much finesse.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:03:21 PM EDT
[#30]
A chain breaker should work too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A chain breaker should work too.
View Quote

Yeah, I've had this little gizmo kicking around in the junk box for awhile. I never got around to making a pin pusher out of it, though. Reminds me of the one that Little Crow Gunworks uses.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:09:38 AM EDT
[#32]
first AR I used the rubber mallet and pin and luck... 2nd, 3rd, 4th, I used c-clamps and vise grips with no problems and will probably continue to do it that way.
But if that doesn't work for you,  how about a small bench top drill press. Nothing is so hard that you need a real arbor press, plus you can chuck up your punches in the drill press and it's also usable as a drill.

just a thought, I've done this before on other projects where I didn't have a press with enough space to get my parts in, but the drill press had the room.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

first AR I used the rubber mallet and pin and luck... 2nd, 3rd, 4th, I used c-clamps and vise grips with no problems and will probably continue to do it that way.

But if that doesn't work for you,  how about a small bench top drill press. Nothing is so hard that you need a real arbor press, plus you can chuck up your punches in the drill press and it's also usable as a drill.

just a thought, I've done this before on other projects where I didn't have a press with enough space to get my parts in, but the drill press had the room.
View Quote
I've used a drill press too - it worked fine.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#34]
knipex 8603250, work great, easy and fast. Link
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
knipex 8603250, work great, easy and fast. Link
View Quote

Yeah Knipex makes some pretty cool stuff.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#36]
So far the arbor press is working out really well.

I used it last night to install a Magpul trigger guard on a Colt complete lower. I'm glad I didn't have my jig fastened down permanently because the lower was not stripped and some of the installed parts changed the requirements of the jig. Everything went real well.

Then I needed to install and adjustable gas block. It was a Seekins and I noticed that the hole in the gas block was really tight. I normally ream the hole via the method that Little Crow Gunworks teaches. I have found it virtually eliminates mushroomed roll pins if you ream first. However, the Seekins gas block seemed to respond differently to reaming. It seems like it might be Cerakoted. Anyway, I used the arbor press and it pushed the roll pin in like butter. I was able to rotate the little square magnet and use it like an adjustable tool.

Of course I could have used my normal technique with a hammer, punch, and my self-built gas block jig but I want to continually improve my process and the arbor press is definitely a welcomed addition to my tool kit.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#37]
How will it work for the bolt catch pin?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Use a C Clamp for this. Makes it effortless.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't believe I would want to use it for a bolt catch pin. That is a place where a punch makes much more sense, at least to me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I will be removing an A2 front sight today. I will use the arbor press and see if it makes the job easier.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I will be removing an A2 front sight today. I will use the arbor press and see if it makes the job easier.
View Quote

Nope, seemed like too much trouble getting the jig under the ram and holding everything still while pulling the handle. My normal method using my shop-built jig makes the job easy enough.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Lowes has these on sale, $15 for the 2 piece set until 12/02.  
Item #: 749270

Don't forget your $1.91 1/4" clevis pin (installing front pivot pin/ spring/ detent) while you're there.  

Item #: 138641
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top