Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2015 4:16:25 AM EDT
Have a take off Kimber fluted target barrel chambered in 22.250. Diameter is 1 inch from in front of the threaded end to the muzzle and the total length is 26 inches.

I don't know what the thread pitch is for the barrel or for a Rem 700 action....so would this barrel need to be re-machined/re-chambered  and re-threaded in order to fit a Rem 700 action? I am guessing it would shorten the barrel by at least 1.5-2 inches to complete the work if needed, but I would have no problem with that.

Also would a .308 bolt head be required for the 22.250 round?
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Rem Model 700: tenon threads are 1 1/16” x 16 TPI, with a tenon length of about 0.700”.  

Kimber barrels are pretty skinny - you may be short on luck with this barrel without a closer look at it.  You may consider adding a bushing to the barrel, but I don't know if this is practical in this instance.  Get an opinion from a good gunsmith here.  Either way, you are looking at a money pit for just a 22-250.  I imagine R700s in this caliber are plentiful under $500, and factory assembled at that.

If I saw a mix master rifle like this for sale, I would price it less than a stripped receiver.  I would NOT trust the skill of the smith with a high intensity round here.

Yes, a 308 bolt head is appropriate.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 2:33:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rem Model 700: tenon threads are 1 1/16” x 16 TPI, with a tenon length of about 0.700”.  

Kimber barrels are pretty skinny - you may be short on luck with this barrel without a closer look at it.  You may consider adding a bushing to the barrel, but I don't know if this is practical in this instance.  Get an opinion from a good gunsmith here.  Either way, you are looking at a money pit for just a 22-250.  I imagine R700s in this caliber are plentiful under $500, and factory assembled at that.

If I saw a mix master rifle like this for sale, I would price it less than a stripped receiver.  I would NOT trust the skill of the smith with a high intensity round here.

Yes, a 308 bolt head is appropriate.
View Quote

Thanks for the info and advice. Definitely some things to consider in order to weigh some options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top