Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2015 1:27:53 PM EDT
What is the recommended paint for use on a black front sight?  I have a Glock .22 conversion slide that has nice sights, but the problem is the all black front sight gets "lost" sometimes on all black targets.

What is a durable product that is very bright and/or fluorescent that I could use to paint the front ramp?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownells sells a florescent sight paint but it's a set and about $24.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-insert-kits/brightsights-gun-sight-coating-prod1480.aspx

You can find a Testor florescent paint at any well stocked hobby or artist paint shop.  If you're only doing one pistol that's cheaper than purchasing a set.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Testor's enamel, nail polish and the "special" stuff at Brownells all work fine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to Sportsmans Warehouse, Bass Pro or any other well stocked fishing store. Get what is known as "jig paint". Hard as nails enamel in a slew of colors.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]
There's nothing special about the kit Brownells sells. It's just overpriced Testor's. In general, flourescent paint isn't very good. It's useless at night unless you "charge" the sights with a light, and then it only lasts about 15 minutes (when the paint is new).

The best way I've found to apply paint into sight holes is with a toothpick. I get a small dot on the tip and let it stick in the (perfectly clean and acetone'd) hole until it's built-up level with the sight. It stays a perfect circle this way.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top