Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2015 1:18:58 AM EDT
So from all my research on gunsmithing I have found that you can either go to a college and get certification/degrees such as Trinidad State College, but after doing all the math tuition for the full course costs 34,000-36,000. Or you can apply for a Apprenticeship with taogart. But I can't find the website. When i go to taogart . org it leads me to a website that won't load? If anybody here knows how I could apply for an apprenticeship it'd be great? Did they shut the program down or something?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:30:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Become a machinist.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Become a machinist.
View Quote

Wisdom here.
It will help you more than you know.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I apprenticed under my father to learn machining and tool and die making.

Gunsmithing came naturally after that, and instead of being shackled to "oh dang I need to order a part" I can often fabricate the part faster and with better materials than the original or replacement.

The specialty schools only teach the little tips and tricks specific to gunsmithing (which you can learn from books, youtube or talking with old smiths), as well as give you a foot in the door when dealing with distributors and such. Having actual skill when it comes to gunsmithing is a matter of practice, which you can get at home or at a school.

The only benefit I could see with a trade school is you could get scholarships and such to help pay for it, or you can just take machining classes at your local community college.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Wisdom here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Become a machinist.

Wisdom here.

+1million. A good part of what you do will require machining. I learned under a tool maker by trade, he became a gunsmith later in his life. The posts about making your own parts and/or specialized tools is the most accurate part, you'll be able to manufacture exactly what you want to a custom fit, for a fraction of the cost of one purchased & made in China.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:08:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I went to the Colorado School of Trades and worked for Devel for two years until it folded.  Then got a job as a machinist and have been one since. I think either way would work but the machinist coming out of the local schools leave a lot to be desired. Button pushers that can't even sharpen a tool. The machine classes at CST were very good and gave me the ability to get a machinist job after quiting gunsmithing. Mind you this was 35 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top