Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2015 10:33:26 AM EDT
I've searched and didn't find the right answer so...

I got a deal on a S&W 915 years ago and am going to give it to my daughter as a college graduation present.  I bought a second grip, I want to deliver it with a pink grip and the stock black one as a spare.

I assume that you can't power coat a polymer item because they might melt right?  What kind of prep should I do on the grip?  Just use some Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning it?  Any need to use a primer before the top coat?  FWIW my father was a body man, so I am overly critical on finishes; I expect them to look great and last a LONG time.  Is there any reason to use a firearms based product (DuraCoat or Cerakote) vs. a decent quality Lowes rattle can?  

Thanks for your thoughts!
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Some people use alcohol.  I use Dawn's and hot water first, then lacquer thinner.  Acetone is good also, but might harm some plastics.  Lacquer thinner contains acetone.

Duracoat will work.  Sounds like you wouldn't be happy with rattle can, and in that application, I wouldn't be either.

I have heard that you need a white primer for the pink to come out looking right, but I have no experience with pink at all.

You might try asking in the refinishing forum, there will be people there with more experience.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Cerakote will work better and you do not have to paint white first. Follow the Cerakote directions to a "T" and the parts will come out perfect and will last.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top