Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2015 5:22:05 PM EDT
got a barrel on my FAL that i swear is bent slightly.  no sure how to check it though.  Do gunsmiths straighten barrels anymore?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
For shotguns yes, on rifles there is a limit to how much of a bend can be straightened due to the thicker barrel metal not recovering as well as thinner shotgun barrels.

To check you'd just need a good straight edge and verniers.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Stretch a silk thread tautly down the bore. It will tell you where the bend is then use an arbor press to straighten it. When straight a 30 caliber gage pin will drop freely through the bore. You can use ( IIRC the size) a length of 19/64" drill rod as well.

Heck, it's a FAL, a bent barrel may benefit it
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Might be corrective

Watch the Barrel, there was a better one on Midways " Gun Stories", but I couldn't find a clip.

Those skinny barrels MOVE!
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, gunsmiths do straighten barrels, but with the cost of a new barrel being reasonable, it might not even be the best way to fix the gun. If the barrel is on a,,,FAMAS or other hard to get/rare gun, than yes you would want to straighten the original bbl. ,as for an FAL, tons of them out there, and many have had barrels replaced at armories.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
^^^^^^Totally agree with above. If the barrel is not seated, you are going to have issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top