Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2015 10:59:30 AM EDT
I bought a budget (i.e. basket case) Winchester Model 12 for a project.  The end of the action slide bar is bent down slightly about 2" from the end.  I'd like to straighten it, but I'm worried about snapping it as it is a $125 part.  I'm apprehensive about putting the tip in a vice and bending it straight.  Any ideas on the best method of straightening it without snapping the bar in half or otherwise making a mess of the job?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
vise and heat....will smooth metal jaws

heat it then place the bent part into the vise quickly and smoothly close the vise and let it cool

remove form vice and spot hardened the area you heated...
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I need to make some smooth jaws for my vise.  Is aluminum the right material to use?  

How hot do I get the metal before bending?  I have a propane torch for plumbing (sweating copper).  Will this work?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  I need to make some smooth jaws for my vise.  Is aluminum the right material to use?  

How hot do I get the metal before bending?  I have a propane torch for plumbing (sweating copper).  Will this work?
View Quote

The metal should be at least a dull red color in dim light.

Steel jaw liner.
Some short piece of angle iron should be good enough.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Steel jaw liner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steel jaw liner.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top