Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2015 2:46:15 PM EDT
Hi all,

I helped a friend install a mesa tactical rail/shell carrier on his Benelli Nova, but because we had to drill+tap our own holes in his receiver the screws that come with the kit from Mesa are just a bit too short (shell holder is designed for the super nova).

They provide a set of 8-40 UNS-2B 1/2" flathead screws. What I'm looking for is something a hair longer. Maybe 5/8", but if all I can get is longer than that I can always grind it down to where we need it.

You can get a rough idea of the shape of the screws in this pic:

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you try McMaster Carr?
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Tried is the operative word there. They got a lot of stuff, and I didn't come across anything in this thread/size.

I looked through their site as well as places like Grainger.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Any particular reason you tapped the holes 8-40 if you were going to need something longer anyway?
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tried is the operative word there. They got a lot of stuff, and I didn't come across anything in this thread/size.

I looked through their site as well as places like Grainger.
View Quote

call them...trust me
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any particular reason you tapped the holes 8-40 if you were going to need something longer anyway?
View Quote

Well....simple answer is we didn't measure before we cut.

The supplied screws make it into the receiver, but probably only a few threads deep. I'd feel better about it if they were sitting deeper.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks, but no luck. Ordered those, waited forever to get them, and the screw heads just aren't right (all way too small).
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you call Mesa?
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks, but no luck. Ordered those, waited forever to get them, and the screw heads just aren't right (all way too small).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Can you deepen the chamfer???????
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a viable option but for mounting a rail/base/etc I would want to be sure to get the countersink perfect which means putting it on a mill and indicating each of the holes...
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#11]
AND? You only need 2-3 threads if your tapped hole is clean and not oversized. A dot of red loctite and you should be good. At worst you will have to set it up in a mill or good drill press and set the spindle stop .020" - .040" deeper and counter sink the holes. 8-40 is a common thread for guns/Gunsmithing, but tough to find locally. Mc Master-Carr can get them for you, but you will have to call them directly.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
AND? You only need 2-3 threads if your tapped hole is clean and not oversized. A dot of red loctite and you should be good.
View Quote

Holy crap, NO.  The Nova uses a polymer receiver.  Even in an aluminum receiver, mounting a side saddle that will be holding a good bit of weight against 12ga recoil with only 2-3 (super fine) threads is a bad idea.

p556guy, i'm questioning the wisdom of this whole thing, doesn't the supernova have cast-in thread inserts for the top rail mount?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry, my bad, didn't see that it was a Nova. 40 tpi = 1/8" approximately, so in a steel receiver it would be good. In aluminum, you will want the screw to go in the full length of thread in receiver and Loctite. Plastic is not going to hold it that long, unless it has metal inserts that were designed for that application.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Hard materials use finer threads for strength.

Soft materials use larger threads (lower pitch) for strength.

There had better be steel inserts in the plastic.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:56:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did you call Mesa?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Did you call Mesa?

Didn't consider they'd have longer screws than they need on-hand, but I guess it can't hurt to call.

Quoted:

I don't think so, because then the mounting surface on the rail would be weakened i think.

Quoted:
AND? You only need 2-3 threads if your tapped hole is clean and not oversized. A dot of red loctite and you should be good. At worst you will have to set it up in a mill or good drill press and set the spindle stop .020" - .040" deeper and counter sink the holes. 8-40 is a common thread for guns/Gunsmithing, but tough to find locally. Mc Master-Carr can get them for you, but you will have to call them directly.

Haven't put in loctite yet, but I'd really feel better about it if the screw was flush to the bottom of the hole. If it was a 22 I wouldn't worry, but 12ga packs a lot of kick.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

At this point we did the work on this over a year ago so my memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure the receiver was metal, not plastic.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

At this point we did the work on this over a year ago so my memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure the receiver was metal, not plastic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you got into some of the reinforcements, the Nova has always been polymer with some cast-in steel support.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Didn't consider they'd have longer screws than they need on-hand, but I guess it can't hurt to call.

I don't think so, because then the mounting surface on the rail would be weakened i think.

Haven't put in loctite yet, but I'd really feel better about it if the screw was flush to the bottom of the hole. If it was a 22 I wouldn't worry, but 12ga packs a lot of kick.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you call Mesa?

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's why I said to call Mcmaster etc...earlier they can find stuff that is hard for a user to find in their system....I do it all the time...

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Will these work?

(Double check the head diameter to make sure it is large enough - Brownells can give you that measurement if you call)
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#20]
You can always find a machinists to make some up.

It would be painfully expensive at a commercial shop, but a hobby guy might do it for not that much.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Fastenal will have what you need. Or any of the specialty fastener stores, like american bolt.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fastenal will have what you need. Or any of the specialty fastener stores, like american bolt.
View Quote

and if you cant find them on their web page...call them
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Larger than you need is easy to reduce.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Op said 5/8" or longer. If you want to get picky...

ETA: If you go longer get a couple nuts to run up the bolt before you cut it to chase the threads back out after its cut.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

ETA: If you go longer get a couple nuts to run up the bolt before you cut it to chase the threads back out after its cut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An actual die works even better.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I was amazed at the selection of gunsmithy type screws that ACE Hardware stocks in those drawered bins
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top