Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2015 10:52:44 AM EDT
I have a H&R 300 AAC that I am reloading for. This rifle will almost exclusively see my NOE 247gr cast bullets the promblem I am running into is to keep the bullet from hitting the lands I have to seat the bullet past the last crimp grove. I have also used the same load with the bullet seated to the top edge of the crimp grove in my 300 blk AR-15 without it touching the lands. I would like to stick with the same A.O.L. for both rifles. Would it be possible to lengthen the throat on my H&R to allow me to use the same load?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Certainly.

I would probably try to cast both chambers and measure the difference.

Hand turning a reamer to take a few thousandsths out of the throat shouldn't be difficult.

I'm sure one of the pro's will be along in a minute with better advice.

http://www.4-dproducts.com/displayitem.php?rowid=357&tname=rental
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Barrel leade length is probbaly not the only difference.

You will likely have to size for the shorter chamber producing more brass wear in the longer chamber.

Diameter can also be a problem.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You will likely have to size for the shorter chamber producing more brass wear in the longer chamber.

View Quote

Enlighten me please... If it chambered to proper depth why would other measurements be out of spec?
Different reamers can and do have throat dimension differences with everything else being the same.

As long as headspace is set...and he uses a good quality throating reamer he should be fine.
In my experience when it comes to 300 blackout its just the throat

And if his barrel in is chrome lined or nitrided he can't do anything anyways.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Enlighten me please... If it chambered to proper depth why would other measurements be out of spec?
Different reamers can and do have throat dimension differences with everything else being the same.

As long as headspace is set...and he uses a good quality throating reamer he should be fine.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are tolerances on every dimension in a chamber including headspace length, diameter, etc.

All you need is a SAAMI chamber drawing to see all the possible differences.

Unless the have been precision cut with the same reamer with little reamer wear between chambers they are not going to match.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There are tolerances on every dimension in a chamber including headspace length, diameter, etc.

Unless the have been precision cut with the same reamer with little reamer wear between chambers they are not going to match.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but for practical purposes if you are pushing a shoulder forward (and adjusting the threaded shank correspondingly) even if you use a reamer that is not the same reamer the barrel was originally cut with you generally will see little in the way of change from  a practical side on most rifles... in other words you are splitting hairs..
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

but for practical purposes if you are pushing a shoulder forward (and adjusting the threaded shank correspondingly) even if you use a reamer that is not the same reamer the barrel was originally cut with you generally will see little in the way of change from  a practical side on most rifles... in other words you are splitting hairs..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try and chamber a case fired in one rifle in another and get back to us.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

of course it wont fit perfectly... and you might have to shove it in there to do it...

...my question is that for practical purposes what does he have to be worried about by lengthening his throat and firing the gun ...to me the answer is nothing
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless both rifles are mil tolerance blasters he is giving up one of the most important things ... accuracy.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." Townsend Whelan

If all you want is a MO Barn rifle no big deal.

The extra sizing to make shells fit both rifles is very likely to give up a lot.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Unless both rifles are mil tolerance blasters he is giving up one of the most important things ... accuracy.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." Townsend Whelan

If all you want is a MO Barn rifle no big deal.

The extra sizing to make shells fit both rifles is very likely to give up a lot.
View Quote

I have pushed throats with no change in accuracy... Yes you can ruin a good chambering but again for most people the poi shift or group size does not change enough to matter.....and bench rest shooters or competition shooters would try it and if it didn't work would just rebarrel anyways.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok maybe should have been more specific if I seat the bullet deep enough to not touch the lands only one driving band would be in the neck of the case. The rest would be past the neck into the shoulder. I have ordered some cerosafe to cast my chamber just waiting to get it. But it seems to me that this rifle has a very shallow throat.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#11]
ok tried to take a pic the one seated the shortest OAL is the one that will chamber in my H&R seems wayyyyy to short lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top