Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2015 5:47:42 AM EDT
Can a felon whose drug conviction is over 10 yrs + from adjudication and sentence release work in a gun smith operation?  They are allowed to possess a firearm in our state.
It is not me, I have no felonies or misdemeanors and no legal or illegal drug use issues.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can a felon whose drug conviction is over 10 yrs + from adjudication and sentence release work in a gun smith operation?  They are allowed to possess a firearm in our state.
It is not me, I have no felonies or misdemeanors and no legal or illegal drug use issues.
View Quote

That's an interesting question.  On one hand, by your state's laws the individual is allowed to handle firearms.  However since smithing may also be governed by the ATF's regulations it may be forbidden.

The company's best bet would likely be to run it by a lawyer to be sure they're not putting themselves in a bad position.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I am going to spit ball and say NO. The problem is there are functioning firearms within close proximity to the Person on a regular basis.
Constructive Possession is where the JBT's are headed With this. Not worth getting arrested over. Get rights returned then tell them to FO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#3]
get a pardon
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Get an expungement.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Kurt Uber of Uber's lock and Gun in Pensacola, FL was a registered Felon, yet he somehow managed to run a gun shop.  No idea how, but apparently there are ways to do it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess you could work on any part that is not a considered serialized firearm by the government...

barrels, triggers, etc are fine

receivers and frames are not
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess you could work on any part that is not a considered serialized firearm by the government...

barrels, triggers, etc are fine

receivers and frames are not
View Quote

This would be the correct answer. The key is "possesion". If he is in possesion of a serialized component he is in violation of Federal Law and jeopardizing not only his keester, but also the holder of the FFL.

Plenty of other machining jobs out there that will not put him nor the FFL holder at risk.
Hydraulic cylinders are fun.....
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Just some thoughts: If the person is still on probation/ parole only his probation/parole officer can grant him permission if allowed in the particular state.

If a person was convicted of DWI or DUI he can still work at a motor garage / mechanic at a car dealership, etc.  He just can't test drive a vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought as long as the FFL holder was in possession of firarms and logged them in, employees in the store can sell/work on them but it's under the FFL holders name/license.
So the individual with a felony past isn't really in possession.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I thought as long as the FFL holder was in possession of firarms and logged them in, employees in the store can sell/work on them but it's under the FFL holders name/license.
So the individual with a felony past isn't really in possession.

View Quote

If you were a shop owner would you be willing to bet your license, livelihood and freedom on it?

Grey area. When grey areas are encountered one is always safest to err to the dark side of the grey.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Call Obama, he is freeing drug convicts left and right.  Seriously, he will probably sign the expungment on the spot.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#13]
There is certainly precedent for it... but i think he had a recommendation from a prison warden

David Marshall Williams
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 2:07:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There is certainly precedent for it... but i think he had a recommendation from a prison warden

David Marshall Williams
View Quote

Felons didn't lose the right to have firearms until GCA 1968.  "Carbine" Williams was decades before that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top