Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2015 5:03:26 AM EDT
In the process of getting an 80%. It's gonna be my 1st one doing it. Is it necessary to re-anodizing it after milling in the trigger area? Is this gonna be a weak link in the weapon if I don't? I plan on not having any markings it, just a plain jane, with a paint job.
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The 2nd layer may add too much depth, maybe problems with not being able to get your pins in.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 2nd layer may add too much depth, maybe problems with not being able to get your pins in.
View Quote

Really? with all the experts on this site. This is my only input?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm no expert.
In fact, I hardly know the difference between my ass and a hole in the ground!

I was just thinking hypotheticly.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Touch it up with a black sharpie?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In the process of getting an 80%. It's gonna be my 1st one doing it. Is it necessary to re-anodizing it after milling in the trigger area? Is this gonna be a weak link in the weapon if I don't? I plan on not having any markings it, just a plain jane, with a paint job.
Thanks
View Quote

You should definitely re-anodize it because you don't want soft trigger pin holes

ask in this thread, a few people have experience with DIY anodizing

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/675852_Home_anodizing_First_attempt.html
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Contact US Anodizing and talk to Victor. He does a ton of anodizing for the firearms industry. He can do the job, just do not know what he charges for it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You should definitely re-anodize it because you don't want soft trigger pin holes

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks

Thank you, this actually helped and I have some ideas on how to proceed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]
yes. aluminium is soft but aluminium oxide is hard. Hard coat anodizing strengthens your weapon like putting fibreglass on a surfboard.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a difference between anodizing at home and hard coat anodizing...

If you want you can add steel grommets into your 80% lower and then not worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#10]
In the future, I'd steer clear of anodized 80% lowers. I think it's kind of stupid. I get its supposed to help cut costs for the end user, but I think it's retarded. But if your going to anodize it, its going to cost more to re-anodize it (strip current anodize off and then anodize it)
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Anodize requires detailed knowledge of the alloy.

The gun manufacturers are well known for not being all that forthcoming with the information.

Larger ones can 'adjust' the alloy as they wish.
There are a whole lot of tricks that can be done with aluminum to produce harder wear surface in the alloy.
One of them results in carbide being formed in the metal.
Some aluminum can then be removed from the surface leaving the carbide exposed as a wear surface.

Hard enough to be a cylinder bore in an engine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top