Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2015 10:52:28 PM EDT
Ok, I have a birdcage flash hider and bought it and lock washers from brownells.  I'm using a tapco ar tool and torque wrench.  The TM says 10-15 ft lbs and I pushed the lock washer over the barrel before I hit torque specs.  Used another washer and backed the torque on the wrench down to 10# and it still isn't hitting torque before the split washer starts spreading.

Am I doing something wrong here?

jd1
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, but that's no help at all.  It's a video on installing an A2 hider with a crush washer.  I may resort to using a crush washer as I have one for an A2 flash-hider I have, but it doesn't address the issue of the lock-washers, or operator error.

jd1
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:59:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys.  I just tossed the lock washers back in the parts box and used a crush washer I had for an A2 FS.  I'll dig on the internet to see what was going on with the lock washers.

Thanks,
jd1
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:03:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:17:37 AM EDT
[#6]
A1 flash hider and split washer, right?  Just use a little grease and screw it on.  I don't understand the problem?  15-20 pounds is the spec, I think.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A1 flash hider and split washer, right?  Just use a little grease and screw it on.  I don't understand the problem?  15-20 pounds is the spec, I think.
View Quote

More of a dead thread now, but the split washer rode over the barrel before it got to 15 lbs.

It's not an A2 hider so it doesn't need to be indexed with the split washers or crush washer but I got tired of dealing with the lock washer so I sacrificed a crush washer I had.  Should have used it in the first place.

Thanks,
jd1
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:41:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Strange, I don't think I could make that happen if I tried.  Either the wrong washer or undersized barrel diameter?  There should be a small step-out on a .625 barrel and no matter how tight you torque the flash hider on, the washer shouldn't spread out that much.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#9]
yeah how in the hell is it ridding over the barrel something is wrong
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Who the heck would use a split washer anyway? I was under the impression that it was peel washers originally then they went to the crush washer.
Or did I miss something?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Who the heck would use a split washer anyway? I was under the impression that it was peel washers originally then they went to the crush washer.
Or did I miss something?
View Quote

A1 is all split washer, I think.  

A2 was peel, then crush.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, A1 split washer, A2 peel washer or crush washer.

I was dumbfounded, too.  I had the torque wrench set and the split washer just kept expanding and jumped the lip of the barrel before I knew it.  I thought it would just snug up if I started to over torque it but that didn't happen.  

They were new split rings from Brownelss for this application.

jd1
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A2 was peel, then crush.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or did I miss something?

A2 was peel, then crush.

Thanks, never knew that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top