Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2015 9:59:20 PM EDT
I'm halfway through "American Gun" by the venerable Chris Kyle, and in the M1903 chapter I came across his use of the word "gun chassis" when referring to the customizable versatility of the Remington 700. Is chassis just another word for frame, like how I can easily swap a 10-22 factory stock for a Hogue Overmoulded?

What does chassis mean when referring to firearms ?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm halfway through "American Gun" by the venerable Chris Kyle, and in the M1903 chapter I came across his use of the word "gun chassis" when referring to the customizable versatility of the Remington 700. Is chassis just another word for frame, like how I can easily swap a 10-22 factory stock for a Hogue Overmoulded?

What does chassis mean when referring to firearms ?
View Quote

The "chassis" is just a Tacticool name for the structure that supports the action, otherwise known as a stock.
Sure it may have a few features a normal stock doesn't such as adjustable comb, LOP and such(although many upper end stocks also boast these features) but it is just a fancy, Tier One High Speed Low Drag Operator Sniper stock.
Mainly a marketing term.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:14:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Chassis in a rifle stock is generally an aluminum piece to which the receiver is bolted to, as opposed to pillar bedding the action screws and receiver.

A good example is the AICS chassis, and the ones that the Sako TRG rifles use.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a good example XLR chassis
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top