Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2015 6:08:32 PM EDT
I have a Savage 4c made around the 60s.  I need to separate the barrel from the action to shorten and thread the barrel.  

There is a tapered pin holding them together, but it is so tight I can't remove it.  I've bent 3 punches hammering on it.  Liquid wrench was no help.  I haven't tried heating it for fear of damaging the bluing.  

So...  questions are:

How hot can you get bluing before it is damaged?  
Does anybody know if the barrel is threaded into the action or is it a slip fit?  
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:02:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried again with light heat and no dice, can't get any hotter without fear of overheating springs or damaging the bluing.  I thought removing a pin would be easy...  

So I'm going to pull the safety off the action and put the whole thing in the lathe.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Center Mandel inside the receiver, and you don't have to worry about marring the finish on the outside of the receiver by chucking on the outside of the receiver in the lathe chuck.
View Quote

+1

Just do this!

Unless the receiver/barrel fit is loose or eccentric there is no need to remove the barrel for what you are doing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top