Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2015 2:33:55 PM EDT
A coworker handed me this to see if I can do anything with it. It's a family heirloom, so even a nice wall hanger will do.

I'm  a shotgun nincompoop, what is it? It appears to be an old Parker. ETA: further research; it looks to be a T. Parker, Belgian trade gun, manufactured by Henri Pieper of Liege Belgium

Any advice on removing chrome?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's actually chrome and not nickel, blasting will make quick work but isn't ideal. You can also use muriatic acid, but you have to be VERY careful with it because it will also pit the steel if left in too long. If it turns out to be nickel, this stripping agent from Caswell work extremely well and won't harm the base metal no matter how long you leave it in. I've used it multiple times to strip old nickel plated guns:

http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/metal-strippers/metalx-b-9-nickel-stripper-2-5lb.html

ETA: They have larger size bags as well. The one that I linked to will make a gallon of solution.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's actually chrome and not nickel, blasting will make quick work but isn't ideal. You can also use muriatic acid, but you have to be VERY careful with it because it will also pit the steel if left in too long. If it turns out to be nickel, this stripping agent from Caswell work extremely well and won't harm the base metal no matter how long you leave it in. I've used it multiple times to strip old nickel plated guns:

http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/metal-strippers/metalx-b-9-nickel-stripper-2-5lb.html

ETA: They have larger size bags as well. The one that I linked to will make a gallon of solution.
View Quote

Thank you.

I've been scouring the innernet, appears electrolysis in a lye solution is the best thing going for complete removal. Reverse plating.Blast media will be destructive to the substrate steel and probably not completely remove the chrome, leaving small fragments which would ruin the blue to come.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:00:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If you do not want to do it yourself, you can ship it down to Armaloy in TX. They do all of my hard chroming and can strip any plating. I sent them a NOS Colt Police Positive 32 cal bbl that was nickel plated. They stripped the nickel off and it looked like it came direct from Colt without bluing. They have an FFL, so you can ship them any gun you want. They are top notch, 100% the best and turnaround was 2.5 weeks from shipping to receiving the parts back.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you do not want to do it yourself, you can ship it down to Armaloy in TX. They do all of my hard chroming and can strip any plating. I sent them a NOS Colt Police Positive 32 cal bbl that was nickel plated. They stripped the nickel off and it looked like it came direct from Colt without bluing. They have an FFL, so you can ship them any gun you want. They are top notch, 100% the best and turnaround was 2.5 weeks from shipping to receiving the parts back.
View Quote

Good information, Thanks. I'll keep them in mind for the future.

This particular gun appears to not be worth a lot, and the owner has handed it over to me to do my best with.

Value is two fold, I am trying to increase my skill level restoring old, damaged guns, this is a good one to practice on, and,

if I am successful, the owners currently ruined family heirloom will be something worth displaying.

He's had it stuck in a closet in pieces for twenty years, so not too big a deal for him.
Interesting project for me. I'm going to try my hand at de-plating it.

Out of curiosity, what does de-plating run cost wise, ball park?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Just be careful.
Partakers are often relatively valuable.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 2:17:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hand it back to him, just the way it is.

There is a lot of work needed to get the shotgun action back to the correct barrel to receiver gap before it's safe to fire, and god only know what other internal parts are missing as well to restore the piece.

Even if you had all the parts, buy the time you stripped the plating, do the needed buffing before it's refinishing, much less  the welding and fitting on the barrel to receiver to get that right, would have thousands of dollars of time into the project, and still may not be safe to shoot.
View Quote

Thanks for your advice; but I am not attempting to restore it to shooting condition. All of the internal parts appear to be intact, but it is a Damascus gun, and I have already explained to the owner that it should be a wall hanger and he agrees. Between the age, unknown acid dipping, heating and chroming, who knows what the condition of the barrels are. I just want to get the chrome off, blue it and hang it

I am just using it to learn. I want to see if I can de-plate it myself, he would like to have his dads old gun looking nice enough to hang on the wall.

It is chrome, he had a friend that worked at an automotive chrome shop who owed him and offered to chrome it for him. It was downhill from there.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top