Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2015 4:34:17 PM EDT
Any recommendations for a good gunsmithing screwdriver set?  I don't want a set that has 5 each of four common tip sizes... e.g. a "Black and Decker" set that comes in a "Browning" box.  I want a large variety of high quality tip sizes that will accommodate screw sizes from multiple firearms manufacturers.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Magna Tip set from Brownells.  They aren't the cheapest, but they are the best I have found.  The correct tip prevents mangled screws.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get a Magna Tip set from Brownells.  They aren't the cheapest, but they are the best I have found.  The correct tip prevents mangled screws.
View Quote

This. Great drivers, and great tips.

I find the 'law enforcement' length handles to be the easiest to use. Just the right length for 90% of my bench work.

Link Posted: 2/3/2015 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Also, never depend on every tip you have to work on every screw head.

When I was building a custom Mauser, the grip cap on the stock had very small flat head screws. Almost like the size for a very small precision screwdriver.

Learn how to properly grind a tip to fit the application to prevent tearing away screw head material.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:40:42 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 brownells magna set
you don't have to buy the complete set, they sell different sets for your specific needs(1911, S&W etc).
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I find the 'law enforcement' length handles to be the easiest to use. Just the right length for 90% of my bench work.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I they sell several different sets but I just bought the complete one.  The LE handle with magnetic tip is excellent.  You can also find information through brownells and other places that will tell you what head to use for a specific screw on a gun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:57:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Another +1 for Brownells. They're expensive, but they are THE professional option (especially for not damaging flatheads on grip screws, A-5's, etc.)
They have a lifetime warranty (although you must call to use it -no web ordering). They will replace up to 10 bits at a time without requiring the broken ones to be shipped back. You will break even them. You will break other brands faster/more often. It's really worth the investment, long-term.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a cheap gunsmithing "S&W" screw driver set years ago and it was so crappy.  Decided I needed to get a quality (aka "expensive") driver kit so I looked at Brownells.  Yes, that's what I'm talking about!  Good quality tools.  I got a driver set with two driver handles and a case.  It is worth every penny.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been happy with this: Wheeler Engineering
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Also, never depend on every tip you have to work on every screw head.

When I was building a custom Mauser, the grip cap on the stock had very small flat head screws. Almost like the size for a very small precision screwdriver.

Learn how to properly grind a tip to fit the application to prevent tearing away screw head material.

View Quote

This.  When I worked on smith revolvers a lot, I use to grind tips as I needed them  If a blade didn't fit nice, full and parallel, I made a new one.

It was worth EVERY penny to do it right.

You guys want nightmares?  Watch airgun people work on their hi dollar German air rifles with wood screw drivers and 3 pound hammers.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a set from "B-Square" that I bought about two decades ago. It came with a dozen of the common flat sizes and a few phillips and a few torx. Over the years I have purchased about a dozen more tips of various sizes.

If I was doing it today, I would just buy the big magna tip set from brownells, buy once cry once...
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Again.....Brownells Magna Tip; regardless of your budget, they'll have a set to accommodate you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Brownells Magnatip with LE handle. Buy once, cry once.  I know gunsmiths who still have their set from when they started 40 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top