Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 12:48:39 AM EDT
Hello all, I am getting started in the cerakote business and would like to work towards having my own brand AR10/15.  This isnt something I am trying to do overnight, just looking into what it would take to take this on.  Question I have is to do this, do I contact a company who already produces uppers and lowers?  Do I pay for the basic design and add my touch then create it on my own, if so, who do I get the rights from?  I just dont know where to start my research and would like some input... Suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:56:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Why on earth would you start a business like this in such a crowded market?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:28:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Going after a smaller segment of hunters and long range shooting in different calibers. And where I live the market could support it... But I hear Ya, it will be rough...
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:51:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The AR15 lower market is saturated. If you want to specialize in other calibers why not build using others' lowers? Still a tough market but less risky than the first. Need an FFL to do either though
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
First post nailed it  
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why on earth would you start a business like this in such a crowded market?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#5]
You will have to  have a manufacturers license.

Many of the Machine Shops that actually machine lowers,  like Aero produce branded lowers for other companies.

Years ago I talked to Tactical Machining they said they would put your name and logo on a lower if you ordered a 100.

Don't know if that is still true.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, most of the mfg's will brand lowers for you...as long as you have an FFL, SOT, and you provide the roll stamp or print ready graphics. You will pay about $50-70 each for the lowers ( with a minimum order) Less than 100- price goes up fast. Better off just using someone else's lower and build the uppers to caliber spec. BTW-- you still need an FFL AND MFG SOT. Not cheap thing to start, oh and don't forget your business address, business license, tax info, and all the other things that come with owning your own "mfg".  Now if you have a "new" design, or some other gimmick, and you have done you market research, hey, go for it dude!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Right on right on... I am aware of the mfg and ffl... I currently in the last stages of starting my cerakote business.  My plan as of now is just uppers in other calibers, I just needed to know about the lower info, IF I decide to go that route.  Thanks for all the input, all of it.  I will with out a doubt take all this into consideration.  Anything else anyone wants to add, Im all ears.  All so, having been recently retired medically from my LEO career, I still have strong ties to a lot of swat teams and cops, my market is there to make a profit, maybe not be huge and make millions, but something I could easily make a decent living off of.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:21:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:37:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Going after a smaller segment of hunters and long range shooting in different calibers. And where I live the market could support it... But I hear Ya, it will be rough...
View Quote

No it can't.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Right on right on... I am aware of the mfg and ffl... I currently in the last stages of starting my cerakote business.  My plan as of now is just uppers in other calibers, I just needed to know about the lower info, IF I decide to go that route.  Thanks for all the input, all of it.  I will with out a doubt take all this into consideration.  Anything else anyone wants to add, Im all ears.  All so, having been recently retired medically from my LEO career, I still have strong ties to a lot of swat teams and cops, my market is there to make a profit, maybe not be huge and make millions, but something I could easily make a decent living off of.
View Quote

You know how to make a million? Spend 2 million. While it could be profitable, you are 6-8 years behind the curve. A "cheap" lower is just that-cheap. Unless you plan on manufacturing thousands of lowers, it's cheaper to get a mfg to roll stamp ones for you. BTW- roll stamps are approximately $500-1000 each. Also remember, SWAT and LEO's are bound by what their dept. says they can carry. If they say Bushmaster, it has to be Bushmaster. Not a clone. I work with a lot of local, state and Gov. LE on a daily basis. It is good work, but they have set rules to what can be done and how. Being that you are in CA, you have more BS to deal with than a lot of us. Not only do you have Fed regs., you have CA draconian regs. If you do enough Cerakote for a reasonable price, you can make a good paycheck. You won't be buying a Ferrari, but you will be making money.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Keep in mind, you will probably need to pay the gubment the 11% tax for each firearm you "manufacture".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top