Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2015 8:36:14 PM EDT
I think I might be wrong here but this is my understanding of the law.
If I ship a gun across state lines it must go to a ffl.

So If i were to send a gun back to the manufacturer or I send a gun to get work done on it. I send it to a dealer.
When the send it back to me they send it to my dealer, my dealer would charge me the transfer fee and I would be able to pick up my "fixed" gun?

I iz dumm please hehlp!
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  You send it to mfg or smith with ffl and they send it straight back to your house.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.  You send it to mfg or smith with ffl and they send it straight back to your house.
View Quote

because they are not the "owner" of that firearm so it doesn't need to be transfer back to you?
help me understand
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

you can ship you gun to an out of state gunsmith or manufacturer, and they can ship it back to you.

UPS and FEDEX policy says handguns must ship 2nd day air  ( because they are idiots )

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

because they are not the "owner" of that firearm so it doesn't need to be transfer back to you?
help me understand
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

help me understand

The law is written the way the law is written.  I can't help you understand what doesn't make sense.  I don't understand why we even have to have FFLs.  I should be able to call the mfg up and get it shipped straight to my house just like the way it worked prior to 68.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
FFL, being it a smith or manufacturer, checks the gun into his books when they receiver it to show possession of the firearm for repair, repairs it, then sends it directly back to the owner from which they received it (no paperwork required, other than the FLL checking it in and out of there books for the needed paper trail).

Since you are the owner of the firearm, your golden, and is the other end that needs the FFL to temporary receive and  posses the rifle during repair instead.

Bluntly, as the owner of the firearm, you are allowed to ship the firearm to your self across state lines without the needed of a FFL.  
Its when the firearm is not going to be in the possession/ownership by the owner (shipping in transit is OK when shipping to yourself), that a FLL is needed instead for the needed paper work, which is just his books.
View Quote

He's right about that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a problem with some of the manufactures idiot help understanding the rules. I sent a gun to Browning repair center in Missouri last year by UPS with my address  and instructions to return it to me and they returned it to the UPS shipping location I had sent it from. 2 months later I call them and ask where my gun is and was told it had been returned. I said I do not have it and thats when they told me where they had returned it to. Thank goodness the shipping center had honest people. I never did convince the idiot at Browning that he was wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top