Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2015 2:37:59 PM EDT
I've been thinking lately that I should invest in a decent steel or brass punch tool kit.  They will come in handy for my AR builds that I am planning.  There are a lot of sets out there and I don't know what is a good quality, the most commonly used sizes, brass or steel, etc.  Any and all recommendations are much appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Starrett.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Starrett.
View Quote

Ok, I've seen those.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Starrett period
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:12:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Grace makes a very nice set
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Starrett.
View Quote

Listen to this guy.
Hands down.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I know that this is an older thread but I was trying to find a push in the right direction.  So I purchase a wiz bang trigger guard for a whopping $16, then I figure out that I need a roll pin punch set to take it out and the right way to reinsert the pin is with a set of roll pin holders first then finish with a roll pin punch.  Looking at middle of road sets from Brownells I figure it will cost me about $75 to buy the roll pin punches and holders to install this less than $20 part.  I know that I could buy a specific size punch and a specific size holder but I will be able to use the sets later on with other projects.  

I guess that I am just venting about the costs of what should be very inexpensive sets.  By the way if you try and buy Starrett sets, at least double that price.  UG!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll go against the grain.  Unless you plan on doing it as a daily business, I don't know that it terribly matters.

On the first build I did, I just bought the cheapest "ar15 punch set" that I could find, and it's done perfectly well through all of the rifles I've built.  Nothing bent, nothing scratched, nothing "rolled", they just performed as you would expect.

I suppose someone, somewhere may make one out of completely horrible, inappropriate steel, but they're probably few and far between.  I imagine that if you got one from any recognizable brand name, you'd be fine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the comments.  Bought the Grace 7 piece roll pin punch set and a Brownells roll pin holder set.  I wish that I could have spent the money on something more wizz bang, but I want to do the job correctly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't suggest cheap Wheeler set. The thicker brass punches are ok, but the thinner steel ones in my set started to peen with their 1st use( and no, I was not beating the shit out of them)
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#10]
STARRETT, the best made. Snap-On would be second choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top