Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2015 1:43:01 PM EDT
So I've been shooting on and off for about 3-4 years now, basically the only time I stopped shooting was when there was a lack of ammo for a year from the ammo scare.  I've never had conventional training in shooting technique or cleaning.

I for the life of me can't really find what, say as a gunsmith would do, is the proper way to clean a gun.  Here's what I've done in the past:

1) Clean bore with Hoppe's, let it soak.
2) Wipe it with clean wipes, then Hoppe's, then clean wipes until it's completely clean.  
3) I used to even use the Hoppe's as the lubricant for storage until recently.

I've never used a brush to scrub out a bore, but do I need to?

Here's my new procedure after Youtube has confused me and/or corrupted me:

1) Dry run with a bore snake to clean out loose carbon
2) Spray and soak with Ballistol
3) Run bore snake two or three times through checking the barrel to see if it needs more Ballistol
4) Lightly lubricate with ballistol using a patch

I'm thinking about using Hoppe's again for the initial soak though because I don't feel Ballistol really gets the copper out.  With Hoppe's I used to get green patches, Ballistol I don't.  The only thing I don't like about it is the toxicity of Hoppe's and getting it on my hands, if there's a different strong cleaner like Hoppe's that isn't toxic I'll use it.

Aside from the bore snake I still don't use a brush on the barrel, is it important to do that?  Is what I'm currently doing enough or should I do anything else?
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Simple answer: The one in the manual for the gun.  The minute you depart from that you enter the land of differing opinions.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
John Krieger has a few words of wisdom on Barrel cleaning.

Starts at 7:20
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Simple answer: The one in the manual for the gun.  The minute you depart from that you enter the land of differing opinions.
View Quote

And here's one after 56.

Get a bore and muzzle guide.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a one piece coated cleaning rod longer than your longest barrel and receiver's combined measurement.

Buy a bore guide that fits inside your receiver.

Choose one company's product and stick with it, don't mix and match chemicals in your bore.

Push patches and bore brushes through your bore in the same direction that the bullet travels allowing them to exit the muzzle.

Never draw a bore brush back through the muzzle/crown. Unscrew the brush after it exits the muzzle and push it back through from breech on each pass.

Never change directions inside the bore when using a bore brush.

Let the solvent do the work, not your muscles.

If you keep your rifle cleaned and lightly lubed it will last for decades.

I clean after every outing, even if I fire only a few rounds. A couple passes with solvent soaked patches followed by a few passes with a bore brush will knock most of the crud out. Follow with a patch or two of solvent, a dry patch and an oiled patch and I'm done.

More rifles are damaged by over cleaning or improper cleaning than any other reason. John Krieger makes a living selling barrels and his video basically says "easy does it".

Sinclair International is a one stop shopping experience for the best cleaning gear available.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Interesting, thanks for all of the replies.

PR361, thanks for the video, it's good to hear it from the pro's too as always

Dano523:  I have 2 Mosins, 1 SKS, 1 AES-10B, 1 TISAS 1911, 1 Heritage Rough Rider .22 revolver.  So basically a little of everything.  

So it's interesting that I've never used a bore brush at all, but maybe I should start, and as everyone here has said breach to muzzle only.  I find it interesting how many super popular YouTube people just scrub their bore back and forth with a brush and it's not the right way of doing it (which I knew too).  I go back and forth with a patch if I'm really getting the solvent in there, but that's it.  

Also interesting, again, how many different opinions there are on the Solvents and Oils to use.  I guess there's no one size fits all, but also interesting that no one has said to use Ballistol either.  Maybe I'll go back to Hoppe's or another solvent for my rifle bores, Ballistol seems to work pretty good on the pistols though and it's easier to use.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll try some new solvents that you all have mentioned too and maybe for the first time actually use a bore brush and see how it goes and if I get a bunch of junk falling out of my barrels!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:45:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't use a Bore Snake, sooner or later it will break off inside the bore.
However, I like pull throughs for a quick clean at the range.  I either use one I made or one made by Pro Shot.

I do a quick cleaning after shooting to get the carbon out while it is still warm, and then more intense cleaning every 400 rounds or so to get the copper out.  I use Butch's Bore Shine for routine cleaning as it helps stay on top of the copper, and chase with Hoppe's.  Sweet's is seldom needed if Butch's is used.

Last Saturday night I cleaned a VZ-24 down to the metal, probably the first time in decades.  I used everything I have on that one, Butch's, Hoppe's, Sweet's, J-B Bore Polish, and Wipe Out.  The carbon was built up so thick that a 8mm brush required a hard push when I started, but moved with almost no friction when I finished.  It still had a little copper when I finished that I expect was mostly in the bottoms of the pits.

View Quote
Funny.
Years ago, I got flogged for the same statement. I just flush with brake cleaner then run a oiled patch
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#10]
One more question, what's the best way to get the carbon off of:

1)  Revolver frames and cylinders
2)  Gas pistons in my SKS, AES-10B, etc.  

I don't want to use a brass brush because it seems like it's just going to scratch the crap out of everything or take the blueing off of the revolver
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#12]
If by Hoppes you mean the old #9 then you might want to consider a better copper solvent. I have become a huge fan of the foaming bore cleaners. They are super easy to use and very effective.

I don't have any problem running a brush both ways in my barrel as long as you mind the crown. I pretty much only use boresnakes for rimfire and handguns anymore. They work great as a field type cleaner before I leave the range.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He asked about carbon.  If you look up the page, you can see a list of my arsenal of chemicals I applied to my BIL's rifle last weekend.

I have regular Wipe Out that is supposed to foam when agitated with a brush, and I have yet to see it foam up.  I'm also not impressed with the claim that it gets the carbon and copper after everything else indicates the gun is clean; it removes carbon about as well as anything, but not copper.  I've used it in a couple of barrels with zero additional cleaning.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If by Hoppes you mean the old #9 then you might want to consider a better copper solvent. I have become a huge fan of the foaming bore cleaners. They are super easy to use and very effective.

I don't have any problem running a brush both ways in my barrel as long as you mind the crown. I pretty much only use boresnakes for rimfire and handguns anymore. They work great as a field type cleaner before I leave the range.

He asked about carbon.  If you look up the page, you can see a list of my arsenal of chemicals I applied to my BIL's rifle last weekend.

I have regular Wipe Out that is supposed to foam when agitated with a brush, and I have yet to see it foam up.  I'm also not impressed with the claim that it gets the carbon and copper after everything else indicates the gun is clean; it removes carbon about as well as anything, but not copper.  I've used it in a couple of barrels with zero additional cleaning.

All I see about carbon is him talking about the boresnake. He said he is thinking of going back to Hoppes from Ballistol because of better copper removal
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I thought you were replying to me.

View Quote

Roger. It's easy to miss on my phone.

I don't know if they still offer it but Hoppes had their elite which was some natural based stuff that came in a pump bottle. It works great for taking carbon off my stainless revolver cylinders.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah I mean it's a general cleaning question I guess.

It seems like the general consensus is:

1) Use a strong solvent like Hoppes #9 or something like it (which also gets out some copper in my experience with it and my Mosins)
2) Use a Lubricant of sorts, Remington Oil, Ballistol, etc for protecting it over long periods of time in storage
3) Occasionally break out some copper specific cleaner to really get the copper out after multiple regular cleanings.

I appreciate all the help from you all, answered a lot of questions.  I guess I'll just go back to using Hoppes and some gloves while cleaning.  I was happy about Ballistol and not being Toxic but it just doesn't seem to get in there like Hoppes did.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

John Krieger has a few words of wisdom on Barrel cleaning.

Starts at 7:20
View Quote
Thank you for that....that was a decent little chat with a great barrel maker

Speedy has an interesting article on barrel break in , with some good , all-around advice,too.

http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.com/barrel-break-in.html

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Just curious what you guys think of Otis cleaning products.  I picked up a kit and brought it along when I shot 3 gun out of state.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top