Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2014 4:00:52 PM EDT
I'm having a Rem 700 worked on and the lugs on the rifle are going to be lapped into a new bolt.  I was thinking of parking the receiver and bolt but wondering if the parkerized finish would affect the lugs and bolt once they had been lapped in?

I should have parked the receiver and bolt before I sent it out but didn't because I was going to have the smith ceracoat it but changed my mind.  My plan is to get the barreled receiver (SS barrel) and dip the receiver into the park solution but then the lugs would be parked over.  I figure the SS barrel wont be affected so I can do this with the barrel attached.

Comments?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to preserve those nice lapped surfaces be sure they mask them prior to blasting or the blasting will wipe out those nice lapped surfaces.
Or request they lightly re lap it after parking it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#2]
being someone who's done parking before..  I'd cerakote it.   I own a R700 that has a value north of 7K and my rifle is fully cerakoted because it's the best finish.  Parking = isn't that good.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
being someone who's done parking before..  I'd cerakote it.   I own a R700 that has a value north of 7K and my rifle is fully cerakoted because it's the best finish.  Parking = isn't that good.
View Quote

IMHO, Parkerizing does make a good base for applying cerakote... but I too have to agree somewhat. I would find it hard to justify a park job just as a base for cerakote etc... Cerakote and KG gunkote are both good enough to stand on their own...
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:20:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I always blast with 90 or 120 grit AL oxide and I know what I'm doing when it comes to surface prep and paint or park.   Parking always scratches easy and it can make a OK surface for painting but I've been doing this for 15 years and now for the most park think parking is a waste of time when you can just blast and cerakote it and be done with it.     Have you seen the drag test done by the snipershide owner?  He drug his 10k rifle behind a truck or ATV (cant recall which) and the paint was fine.   Try that with a good park job and you'll still have some scratches.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
If you look at the Cerakote testing results, Parkerizing comes in second to it. That is why it is the preferred finish for the military. I only offer Cerakote for my customers and not one has had a bad thing to say about it. I always parkerize the steel parts before I Cerakote. It give that great finish for the Cerakote to grab to and "if" it gets scratched, there's a finish underneath that will protect the gun's metal. I have 2 guns that are brutalized and the Cerakote still looks good. JMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top