Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2014 9:47:11 PM EDT
I have a 45lc that has extensive water damage. It sat in a wet case for about 3 days. I bought it right after for $200. I cleaned it the best I could and put baking soda on it (heard it stops rusting, idk, but it brought a lot of rust off) since then I've kept it oiled and dry. Bought it about 5 years ago. The rust doesn't seem to be spreading. Not sure if I should have it reblued or what. Also, if anyone could tell me what the value is I'd appreciate it. I've had offers for it but don't know what a fair price is. If it's not worth but 200 or so I'd rather just keep it, but I want to at least maintain what I have now.
I'll post more pics if needed
" />
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Media blast it then either hot blue it or have a paint applied. If you like the patina bake it in the oven at 150 degrees for and hours and that will make sure it is dried.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
More info, more pictures.

Colt? Old? Collectable?

Just from what I see, if it were mine, I would think whatever collector value it may have had is gone, I would set about refinishing it and making it into a nice shooter.

I would probably rust blue it, since it's a process I'm comfortable with and it's a good fit for the gun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Its a Cimarron. It's worth about 600 new. I'll get some pics in a sec. I should have said this to begin with, but I have no experience doing anything other than basic cleaning. None. So if there's a process that takes skill, I have to pay someone. My thinking is that if I keep it, I don't care what it looks like as long as it works and doesnt get worse. If I can invest say 150 and turn around and sell it for 450, then I'd be open to that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]
That doesn't look that bad, either oil it well to keep it as is or dry steel wool and cold blue and go shoot it for what you have in it.  

Won't be cost effective to pay someone to refinish it for resale.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Keep it oiled, probably won't get any worse if you don't want to actually repair it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I like to soak rust with ATF, it has strong detergent qualities. Denim soaked with it works well but isn't as harsh as steel wool on the surviving blue.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]
People have paid good money to have their new guns look like that. http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/hand-guns/model-p/model-p-original-finish.html
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks fine for a weathered gun.

If you didn't want it, someone in the cowboy action world might be happy to buy it off you for a more trail worn look if the bore is in good shape.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#10]
The only time refinishing makes any sense is when there is emotional value to the piece .
Possibly if it was a old colt that you stole you might break even but not with a Cimaron.

Your only value with that is as a shooter .

As others have said there are likely some Cowboy action shooters who might get a kick out of gun so beat that it sort of looks like a original.

I am somewhat out of the loop but I don't think a used
Cimaron is worth $600 . Isn't that what they would retail new for ?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the input. I soaked it in carburetor cleaner (gunsmith recommended it) for a couple of days. Took almost all the rust off. Got a guy that offered me 350 for it, so I'm going to take that. Figured a quality scope would serve me better than a gun I shoot a couple of times a year. If he backs out I'll just hang on unless I run into a similar offer. Guess I could try my hands out on bluing a gun since it's not like I'll hurt the value ha. They're maybe 600 new, so definitely feel find getting 350 out of it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#12]
look up electrolysis on youtube. this will solve the rust issue and remove 100% of the rust on the gun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top