Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2014 12:35:33 AM EDT
I'm almost out of it. Anybody know a good online source or if a major store like home depot or ace carries it?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#1]
wal mart
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#2]
It's food grade mineral oil with an emulsifier(think some kind of vegetable oil) and some scent added, you could probably make it yourself by the bucket pretty cheap.

Ingredients from the MSDS are available online.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Amazon

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm almost out of it. Anybody know a good online source or if a major store like home depot or ace carries it?
View Quote

What are you gunsmithing that you would need for?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:45:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was not sure where to post the question. So I posted it here. Could have went to GD but I didn't want to deal with dumb responses.
After a long time of using clp type products I found some in my chem locker.
I just use it for a light cleaner, lube, or preservative. I like the smell compared to other products. It tastes terrible though.

Thanks for the help finding it. Never seen it at walmart. I'll look next time I'm in there.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:58:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was not sure where to post the question. So I posted it here. Could have went to GD but I didn't want to deal with dumb responses.

I just use it for a light cleaner, lube, or preservative. I like the smell compared to other products. It tastes terrible though.

Thanks for the help finding it. Never seen it at walmart. I'll look next time I'm in there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could just use WD-40 instead, darn near the same thing, but WD-40 has a proven track record of protecting metal.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Ballistol, one of the best things to come out of Germany.  They came up with this lubricant prior to WWI and it still is one of the best out there.  Wish you were in NC instead of UT.  It is now made in this state.  A good friend bought a case and sold me 2 cans for $12 each.  I normally get it at gun stores or order via internet.  Good luck in finding one of the best.  Can also make it into moose milk for cleaning your black powder guns which I learned a long time ago will clean up a whole lot easier if you keep any oil based away from them.

Lead Foot
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's food grade mineral oil with an emulsifier(think some kind of vegetable oil) and some scent added, you could probably make it yourself by the bucket pretty cheap.
Ingredients from the MSDS are available online.  
View Quote

Oil of Anise and alcohols.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I found some locally and have been using it more lately. Just the aerosol kind. I would still like to find a larger can. Opinions may vary but I like it. Not really a fan of the latest wonder lubes. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still use Lubriplate when grease is called for. As for oil I always had good results with CLP, synthetic motor oil and now this. I shoot quite a bit and have been using on everything from modern rifles to 100 year old surplus firearms. I'm happy I rediscovered this product. I looking forward to trying it in my black powder firearms shortly. If you get a chance to pick some up you might like it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Amazon for the hookup on 3 can's.

Also asking about what your gunsmithing for it's use....Ballistol is great on taking a fresh range gun with 300 - 500 rounds run through it and strip it and spray down. Soaking parts overnight, for cleaning next day.....I mean the can basically says it does everything and I have found it to be the least abrasive or toxic cleaner, lubricant, etc...

I keep that and AeroKroil at my gunsmithing table..
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I found some locally and have been using it more lately. Just the aerosol kind. I would still like to find a larger can. Opinions may vary but I like it. Not really a fan of the latest wonder lubes. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I still use Lubriplate when grease is called for. As for oil I always had good results with CLP, synthetic motor oil and now this. I shoot quite a bit and have been using on everything from modern rifles to 100 year old surplus firearms. I'm happy I rediscovered this product. I looking forward to trying it in my black powder firearms shortly. If you get a chance to pick some up you might like it.
View Quote
Don't blame you, a LOT of them are marketing hype, made of common stuff that's been around since the last big jumps in lube tech in the 30's- 40's.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Ive been using Ballistol since the late 80s.

It was the HK "recommended" lubricant
way back then..

Hickock45 uses it, and recommends it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/HICKOCK45

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=balistol
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I read that it burns at 300 degrees and leaves a black residue in barrels.

Just bought some for cleaning leather and trying to replace my toxic cleaners/oils with more green cleaners/oils.

For a lube I'd rather have a higher flash point oil but have yet to try ballistol for cleaning. Does it dissolve lead? I know it dissolves soft metals like zinc, copper, gold plate etc...
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Just bought some for cleaning leather and trying to replace my toxic cleaners/oils with more green cleaners/oils.

For a lube I'd rather have a higher flash point oil but have yet to try ballistol for cleaning. Does it dissolve lead? I know it dissolves soft metals like zinc, copper, gold plate etc...
View Quote
Oooohhhh..... no....  

Pick up something like Murphy's saddle soap

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:42:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oooohhhh..... no....  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oooohhhh..... no....  

I have saddle soap too....

Why do you have to always be right?
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oooohhhh..... no....  

A short but eventful life.

My Folks also own a business that sells a lot of high end horse stuff, to include bits, bridals, spurs, saddles and such.  

Mineral oil is bad for leather, discolors and soften stuffs as it's petroleum based.

Mink and neatsfoot oil is the heat for preserving leather (but smells).  At the dive school I went to, the leather on the Mk 5 suits is over 30 years old (if not older) and gets used every day and lasts because it gets treated after every time it's been in the dirty ass water.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top