Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2014 10:41:48 PM EDT
Hello all o/
Not only am I getting my first AR, I'm building it as well. One of a few things I am questionable about is the barrel.
I am bent on keeping this an all Spikes build so I am looking at these 2 barrels Chromoly or Cold Hammer Forged

I'm not an Operator, not a LEO nor do I run N' gun, just an avid shooter.  I want the best but not really sure the CHF is what I NEED, or just WANT.
Any experienced advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt there is anything you will be able to do that will show a significant advantage to either one. The cold hammered barrel might be slightly more durable, but it would take you tens of thousands of rounds to discover it.

Different manufacturing processes, the chromoly is drilled, reamed and has the rifling ironed into the barrel  by having a carbide button drawn or pushed through it, the hammer forged one is beaten around a rifled mandrel.

End result, a tube with rifling. As long as the maker does good work, either will serve well.

Both of those are chrome lined and look like excellent barrels, the hammer forged will be more durable because it is cold forged and double chromed, but I would expect it to not be as accurate; chrome lined barrels are made over sized and plated back into spec. Double plating leaves a larger margin for plating variances.

Depends on what you want, and what you expect.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm not an Operator, not a LEO nor do I run N' gun, just an avid shooter.
View Quote

Why not go with a high grade stainless barrel, so you can shoot really small groups. Something like a Douglas barrel. http://www.compasslake.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_31

My Mk12 mod H build with 16" CLE Douglas barrel.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Now that the barrels have their hole, it’s time to add in the rifling. There are two main methods to putting the grooves on the inside of a barrel: button rifling and cold hammer forging. Button rifling involves sending a button broach tool down the length of the barrel using hydraulic pressure that cuts and form the rifling into the barrel. Cold hammer forging involves bashing the barrel from all sides with hammers and forcing them to contact onto a tool, a mandrel, inside the barrel which has the mirror image of the desired rifling on it. Hammer forging has been proven to be the most accurate method of barrel production, providing a longer useful barrel life and greater accuracy. However, while cold hammer forging takes about 90 seconds per barrel (plus a longer setup time), button rifling is a much quicker process at about 30 seconds per barrel.

One of the more interesting things about the FNM barrel shop is that while button rifling is cheaper, everything that they make is cold hammer forged by default. The only reason they even have a button rifling process in the factory is that some U.S. military TDPs or “Technical Data Packages,” which outline product specifications, require the process to be used. But given the choice, J-P seems to prefer producing cold hammer forged barrels instead.
View Quote

inside FNM's South Carolina barrel shop
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:46:45 AM EDT
[#4]
If they were not chrome lined you  might get some kind extended life from the hammer forged barrel. Big might as far as I am concerned. You arent going to wear out a chrome barrel so i would save a few bucks up front. In the unlikely event you wear one out you will have probably spent 10 times as much as you spent on the barrel in ammunition.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you everyone for the help & info, I don't mind spending the $$$ for the better product, but with as much as I shoot (100-200rds now & then) I believe I need to practice the art of being a "tight wad" & save the $$$ for ammo LOL.  I'll go with the chromoly barrel for now. Thanks again everyone o/
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they were not chrome lined you  might get some kind extended life from the hammer forged barrel. Big might as far as I am concerned. You arent going to wear out a chrome barrel so i would save a few bucks up front. In the unlikely event you wear one out you will have probably spent 10 times as much as you spent on the barrel in ammunition.

View Quote

I've worn out a chrome lined barrel.  A LMT MRP barrel to be specific.

Chrome lining provides other benefits.   A resistance to corrosion is one.  More reliable extraction (with a chromed chamber)  is the other.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Chrome lining provides other benefits.   A resistance to corrosion is one.  More reliable extraction (with a chromed chamber)  is the other.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was the round count? You read the part where both the barrels being discussed are chrome so it was simply a question of how the barrel is made.

I realize it's possible to wear them out but very few do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top