Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2014 7:34:20 PM EDT
I teach new/beginners to shoot handguns.  (Yes, I'm NRA certified.)

No CHL, personal defense, just how to shoot safely and confidently.

Some of my older/physically challenged new shooters are best served with a .22 WMR revolver.

I just bought a M941 and polished all the inner contact surfaces.

It's much smoother.

BUT, as everyone knows the action is EXTREMELY STIFF.

I took one coil off the trigger return spring, and it made no noticeable difference.  

NOW I'M GOING TO MESS WITH THE HAMMER SPRING.

I'll either modify it or replace it.

Who has experience (other than Youtube/forum chat) with hand's on 941 spring work WHILE AVOIDING LIGHT STRIKES?

thanks
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You are seeking the best of both worlds.
A lighter trigger AND reliability.

Not gonna happen on any rim fire revolver especially the "T" brand as their QC and consistency is all over the board.
The reason rim fire revolvers have heavy triggers is to ensure reliability. There is such variance on rim fire ammunition it is the only way the manufacturers can be reasonably sure the thing is gonna go bang when needed.
If you want a lighter triggered rim fire revolver that is reliable your going to have to go to a single action.

I have tried what you are wanting with a few customers items and I have never been happy with the results.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, but I respectfully disagree.

I have a M94 with an improved trigger (not "light" but not "impossible to cycle") and no light strikes.  (Unfortunately, I didn't do the work on it, and don't know how it was accomplished.)

I suppose I could swap the springs to the M941 and test it.  But I need both guns for the class.

Any Rube Goldberg ways to test spring tension?

anyone else have hand's on experience with the M941?

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Not the 941, but I replaced the stock hammer spring in my M94 with a Wolff reduced-power hammer spring, and the action is much nicer.  Reliability has been 100% with my fed bulk pack, so far, but inexpensive 22lr ammo is notoriously inconsistent, so your experiences might differ from mine.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#4]
gunsmith on the Taurus forum has suggested a plan of action

will report back as soon as the springs arrive

thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top