Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2014 12:21:42 PM EDT
Some of you may recall my Mauser Build. It was based on a retired Military action, and had some significant erosion around the firing pin hole.  I never addressed this during the build, and it hasn't been an issue until now.

As long as I kept the pressures reasonable, I had some primer flow around the firing pin into the hole, leaving a " cratered" primer, but no other issues. Lately, I've been pushing to find the speed limit of the rifle, and I finally got into a pressure range that vented a primer.

Time to fix it.

I neglected to get a photo of the firing pin in the eroded hole, or the cratered primers, but this photo from the build gives some idea of the erosion issue.

I tried swapping to a larger firing pin, and considered brazing or welding the pin and turning it to fit the hole, but nothing seemed to be a good solution. I had a spare bolt, but didn't want the headache of having to headspace a new bolt and weld on a new bolt handle, so my machinist neighbor and I concocted a harebrained scheme to repair the firing pin hole by bushing it.

Using a 1/4 " piloted counterbore bit, and the bolt bending block as a holding fixture, we bored 3/16 into the face of the bolt around the firing pin hole.

We then turned a piece to a tight press fit, drilled the correct firing pin hole, and cut it off a bit long. The bushing is fitted above the original firing pin shoulder in the bolt, sot the firing pin strike still hits the original bolt and cannot drive the bushing out.

Crappy potato photo of the bushing on the firing pin.

And after driving it in, and milling it flush with the bolt face.

cold blued and off to the range!

I fired 25 rounds, + 3 that were loaded well past any factory pressure. I got flat primers, but no flow, no venting, and the firing pin strikes look "normal".

The bolt face after range session; it may have compressed in another 1/2 mill or so under the 60,000 psi hammer, but no sign of primers backing out or any other issue.

So I'm pretty happy with the result, I'm able to shoot hotter loads without issues now, I'll continue to monitor the bushing, but I see no problem with it.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice job
I doubt you'll aver have an issue
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen similar repair done to a Rem 700 bolt.Looks good,works good!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]
looks good, i think the pin hole on my turk is pretty nasty to but its .45acp so its not been a problem. i jsut wish i had that mill so i could take the stripper clip hump off and mount some irons at the rear lol.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
looks good, i think the pin hole on my turk is pretty nasty to but its .45acp so its not been a problem. i jsut wish i had that mill so i could take the stripper clip hump off and mount some irons at the rear lol.
View Quote

You can clean that stripper clip hump off with a file and some good flat stones, no mill needed.  BTDT.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You can clean that stripper clip hump off with a file and some good flat stones, no mill needed.  BTDT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, That's  how I did mine.

helps to have some free hanging stones for making that first cut too........
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#6]
i dunno the hump on the turk is pretty massive.... i do need to get around to it tho lol
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Good job.  I've been meaning to do this with a P14 Enfield, but CCI34 primers hold together well enough for me not to have to do this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top