Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2014 9:29:03 PM EDT
I have a tax stamp so don't worry. :)

I just want to know what do I go and buy at Home Depot tonight, assume I have nothing, hell I need a vice still. I do have a basic drill set and painters tape, but no saw and no files.

I will have to shorten the fore end, but that won't be tonight's project.

The shotgun being used is a Baikal Bounty Hunter. I forget the model number, basically its a 12 gauge coach gun.

Edit it's the izh43kh

http://eaacorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/IZH43KH.pdf
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The one time I cut down a shotgun barrel myself I just used a hacksaw, then  used a square and a file to even it up.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I've always used a pipe cutter...
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've always used a pipe cutter...
View Quote

Pipe cutter doesn't really work on a double
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go buy a new chop saw.....
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Metal cutting blade for your buddies band saw

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The one time I cut down a shotgun barrel myself I just used a hacksaw, then  used a square and a file to even it up.
View Quote

This is what i did. A pipe cutter also doesn't work if the barrel has a bridge. A reamer would be good to smooth out the inside, but I just used sand paper.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I used a hack saw with a fresh 18 tooth blade. It was quick and easy. Wrap the factory edge of a sheet of printer paper around the barrel to make a straight line. Finish the cut with a file and you're good to go.

I plugged the bolt hole with an oak dowl before final sanding and staining.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#8]
looks nice.  So how bad does that thing kick now.  I got a SUPER-SHORTY and it has a nice kick.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Were the barrels soldered at the point where you made the cut?  This may come back to haunght you if not.  If you haven't shot it yet, I'd advise only loading one shel and a primed HULL in the chambers.  Then swiitch back and forth between the two barrels until provine safe.  Some don't like to have the L barrel fired first.
I have to say, I'm not a big fan of this sort of sport.  While interesting that's not for me.
It look's good.  Now go make a holster and be carefull
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy an automotive hose clamp. Mark your length. Make sure it's square when you tighten it down. Then cut right beside the clamp.

Viola!!

File to smooth..
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Buy an automotive hose clamp. Mark your length. Make sure it's square when you tighten it down. Then cut right beside the clamp.

Viola!!

File to smooth..
View Quote

Seem' like it's been done already
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
looks nice.  So how bad does that thing kick now.  I got a SUPER-SHORTY and it has a nice kick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have a 12ga pump with 7" barrel and 20ga pump with 11" barrel. The sxs kicks harder than the 20 gauge pump but less than the 12ga.

Quoted:
Were the barrels soldered at the point where you made the cut?  This may come back to haunght you if not.  If you haven't shot it yet, I'd advise only loading one shel and a primed HULL in the chambers.  Then swiitch back and forth between the two barrels until provine safe.  Some don't like to have the L barrel fired first.
I have to say, I'm not a big fan of this sort of sport.  While interesting that's not for me.
It look's good.  Now go make a holster and be carefull

The rib on mine was fully soldered the entire length of the barrel. I still welded the gap closed to also reinforce the barrels. I have a lot of rounds through it with no issues.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd cut it twice: once ahead of the ultimate desired length, then again once I was certain there weren't going to be issues when I was done.
New blade, good file, spend some time marking & masking the circumference BEFORE going wild with a hacksaw.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top