Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2014 10:01:40 AM EDT
Who here locktites the set screws on the gas block? I'm talking mainly about the low profile gas blocks that all have 2 or 3 set screws. I had put blue loctite on my 3 screw gas block and when I decided to change the barrel I had to blast the block with a torch just to get the screws to budge. Do y'all rely on friction/torque, or do you locktie the set screws?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Blue Loctite
Always
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Loctite everything.  usually blue, gas block red.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Green wicking loc-tite for the gas block, red for the screws.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Put red on mine, it doesn't really hold up to the temperature but it will stay gummy enough that the screws won't rattle out. I would have it pinned if it's a rifle you really depend on.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blue Loctite
Always
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Red Loctite for GB screws. I also usually shit can the screws that come with it. Most of them are garbage that come with the block. I have a slew of good quality "serrated cup point" set screws from McMaster-Carr that I use. They really take a good bite into the barrel and I have yet to have one loosen or shift.
Forget spot facing the barrel, the screw actually bites into the barrel better without it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Who here locktites the set screws on the gas block? I'm talking mainly about the low profile gas blocks that all have 2 or 3 set screws. I had put blue loctite on my 3 screw gas block and when I decided to change the barrel I had to blast the block with a torch just to get the screws to budge. Do y'all rely on friction/torque, or do you locktie the set screws?
View Quote

And that's the reason I don't glue shit that don't need it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I used red loctite on my gas block. I don't see using a torch on a gas block as a big deal. The gas block might actually exceed the temp of the loctite, but I hear the loctite will still prevent the screws from rattling loose.

Barrel was also dimpled, and I torqued those fuckers down. Doubt it's going anywhere.

As for things such as free float screws/optic screws. Only use blue.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I always use Red on the gas block screws............never had an issue...........stubborn to remove.....but, that's what you want.........

I saw where a gunsmith fabricated a barrel sleeve for a Beretta 92 in I believe........9mm mauser......and held the insert in place with red Loctite.......and shot the crap out of it with no issues...........its good stuff........
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Gas blocks get hot. Use red.

Blue melts at lower temps than red.

I use Rocksett. $10 for a 2oz bottle. It will last you a lifetime.

Great for muzzle devices too. Rocksett is mostly recommended by firearm manufacturers, but they also say red locltite (for gas blocks) is adequate too.

AAC sells a small packet of this, enough for a muzzle device install for $3-5

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top