Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2014 11:34:41 PM EDT
I am planning on making my own birdshead grip frame for my super blackhawk biut i dont know how to weld ss.ive welded aluminum & steel but never ss. Anyone out there try it?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:43:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Never welded on a gun before but I've done a little TIG on sheet and one pipe (both in school). Seemed to run about the same as carbon steel once the heat was figured out. You might need some sort of purge chamber or something to keep the shielding gas around the frame depending on what method you'll be using.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:21:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Tig weld - use the correct stainless filler rod.

Welds like steel, but heats up much faster,

as SS does not conduct the heat away from the puddle.

Think SS to mild steel, as mild steel to Aluminium as far as

preheat and conductivity.

Get some scrap and practice. Torch angle and gas shielding is

critical to make a clean, strong weld.

Then practice some more.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a heliarc but its out of commision for some reason. Its one of them big square ones about 3'x4' lincolns. All i have is a wire feed.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a heliarc but its out of commision for some reason. Its one of them big square ones about 3'x4' lincolns. All i have is a wire feed.
View Quote

Not much chance of success with a MIG, too hard to control your heat.
GTAW or don't even try.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

GTAW or don't even try.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GTAW or don't even try.

Bah! Grab some ER308 and stick that bitch!  

Tig all the way.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
if you have to ask here for advice on how its done, you have no business welding on firearms.  i know i sound like a dick for saying that, but i would hate to see someone destroy a firearm for the sake of experimentation.  you already know how this will turn out.

i sure wish someone would have talked me out of trying to do what you are proposing a long time ago.  i would still be the owner of a neat little 1991a1 compact.

i am a welder professionally, and a damn good one, but i'll just stick to pipe and whatnot, and leave the gunz to the gunsmiths.  it will be money well spent.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, you were being a dick. You couldve worded it different. Plus im the only gunsmith within a 5 county wide area & thats being generous. I may be a gunsmith but that dont mean i know everything. Thats why i asked. All that being said, i decided monday or tuesday to just order it from midway & fit it to the revolver. I also ordered the factory black diamond grips for it. Man were they proud of them. But after im finished with it & do a high polish job on it, itll look sweet. Plus carry better without that corner of the butt showing through my shirt. I plan on using it crossdraw while on my motorcycle. A lot easier than releasing the thrpttle & trying to pull one out.

Quoted:
if you have to ask here for advice on how its done, you have no business welding on firearms.  i know i sound like a dick for saying that, but i would hate to see someone destroy a firearm for the sake of experimentation.  you already know how this will turn out.

i sure wish someone would have talked me out of trying to do what you are proposing a long time ago.  i would still be the owner of a neat little 1991a1 compact.

i am a welder professionally, and a damn good one, but i'll just stick to pipe and whatnot, and leave the gunz to the gunsmiths.  it will be money well spent.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top