Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2014 6:50:02 PM EDT
Hey Guys,
I thought I'd show off the work this little kit can do.  Normally, when cutting and crowning barrels, it's best to do it in a lathe.  I've had a 12"x36" Atlas under drive that was really about that smallest you could effectively use for this kind of operation, and that thing takes up 30 square feet of floor space.  So, if you just want to do something with hand tools, and for cheap, this kit is really a bargain.  The finished product looks better than the factory crown.

I've pilots for both 30 and 22 cal.  They are expanding, and each has a range that covers most dimensions you'd expect.
This particular gun is a Remington 700 in 308.  It *HAD* a 24" Sporter barrel.  

First, I literally clamped the muzzle end of the barrel in a vise, and supported the other end by blocking it up:

Then, break out the hack saw and elbow grease:

From here, I put it in my vertical barrel vise, muzzle side up.  A bit of file work to level it off, just so the crowning tool didn't have as much to cut:

I don't know if it's necessary or not, but I prefer to rough cut it to 0 Degrees first:

Then, recess the crown by cutting in with the 11 Degree Tool:

Finish up with some slow passes to give it a better look:

Finished product cut to 17.5":

Excess:

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, that came out nice. When I was looking at the first few pictures, I was thinking , but it came out very professional looking. That's
good to know.
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks Good!

In for the range report.....
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Even if unconventional, the right tool for the job makes all the difference.  Looks like a professional job.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you intend to use cold bluing on the muzzle, or some other coating?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top